back to article Lost mobiles to pile up in taxis in run up to Xmas

London residents leave an average 10,000 mobile phones in the back of taxis every month. Passengers also forget an estimated 1,000 other tech gizmos - including iPods, laptops and memory sticks - in London cabs every month, according to a survey of London's licensed cabbies. The amount of gear left in cabs peaks during the run …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous John
    Happy

"and it’s clear that none of us are infallible"

Speak for yourself! I've never left anything behind on public transport.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

@anonymous john

... oh yes you have

2. Rob

Get yourself a modern phone

Not that I intend to leave my mobile behind, but if I do I'll call it and get it to tell me where it is (although I can't get it to pick me up a pint of milk on the way home yet, so not that great).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

would be interesting

to know what proportion of these are personal, and which are company. I have seen people i work with treat their company mobiles and laptops with and unbelievable lack of regard. Throwing the things around, slamming a fist against them to stop them ringing in meetings etc.

I wouldn't put it past some of them to 'accidentally' lose their mobile or laptop just to get it replaced with a newer model either.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

True I guess

Nearly left my mobe on a train the other day. A friendly man informed me of my error. This wasn't in London, obviously!

5. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Lost mobiles to pile up in taxis in run up to Xmas

Oi. I saw a bloke run after another bloke in the street in London to give him back his phone that he'd left behind in a London restaurant. In London. So less of that, faceache.

6. Andy Blackburn
    Coat

Honesty

"it’s always about an hour later we get a panicked call on their mobile phones asking for them to be returned"

And I wonder, honestly, how many of those panicked callers are told "Sorry mate/luv, can't see it I'm afraid"?

*Awaits the flaming from some techy cabby reading el reg on "his" iphone*

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

"..as passengers rush onto their next destination with their hands full,"

Hmm, I'm surprised.

The only times I've ever left anything in a taxi it was because I was too completely bladdered to remember to pick it up or notice it drop out of my pocket. Usually around Xmas too.

Maybe that's just me then.

8. Lars Silver badge
    Joke

Well, well

I wonder if perhaps some of the stuff left in cabs relate to optimism about father christmas bringing a new one shortly.

Seems to work better in New York than in London.

1. Uncle Siggy
      Go

In the spirit of the season...

@Lars Don't you mean St. Nokialaus?

9. pctechxp
    Thumb Down

@Andy Blackburn

If the person calls their phone and a cabbie answers it, how exactly would that excuse work then?

Think it through before posting.

I've left my mobile on my desk 'and thought sod it I'll get it tomorrow' when leaving work but never in a cab.

One day without a mobile is no loss at all.

10. FFred
    Pint

As a part time cab driver...

I only work as a cab driver a couple months par year, I also run a seasonal second hand used tech shop on e-bay.

Anyway I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's good for the economy.

11. Charles Manning

Comforting

I find it somewhat comforting that even taxi magazines run pointless surveys. At least it isn't just the mags I read.

12. Frank 2
    Stop

nice cabbies

"Four in five of the London cabbies quizzed said that owners of gear lost in taxis were reunited with their kit once they had found kit at the back of their vehicle."

That's absolute crap, has anyone ever recovered a phone they left in a black cab? I certainly haven't.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like