back to article Uni seeks 'research officer' for sex trade 'fieldwork'

It's well known that the online revolution is slowly but surely killing off the treepulp press. The chattering classses worry more about losing their broadsheets, but the syndrome is just as deadly for more downmarket papers. However, there's at least one ray of hope out there for distressed tabloid journos, where they can use …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Punternet?

Just check out punter net and ask the users some questions?

2. Chris Bradshaw

Only one question, really

What kind of perks does the job offer??

1. Anonymous John

@ Only one question, really

Hands on experience?

Getting down to work?

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Joke

Perks?

Whatever they are, it can't be worth it.

After all, the job quite obviously has its ups and downs and you'd spend all your time hard at work. Also you'd end up working with a bunch of professional arse-licking tossers and getting fucked a lot.

Presumably it's an IT role............

3. Hermes Conran
    Unhappy

We'll pay you £32k a year,

to chat up hookers, strippers and lapdancers.

GREAT!

You have to move to Leeds.

Ah.....

4. SirTainleyBarking
    Paris Hilton

Prehaps Belle de Jour

AKA Dr Brooke Magnanti my be able to frame the research project for them.

After all she claims to have a lot of *Ahem* hands on experience in the area

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"ability to work independently and as part of a team"

ROTFLMAO!

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Nectar XSSXXXXTraction .... Virtual Directive Movement

Is there ever a sweeter honey trap/heavenly abode for the Sex Trade Field Worker ? Remote Controlled Drones in Advanced Virtual Machinery InfraStructures would Feel Real Comfortable Investing Research back into Sex Industry Improvements with Edutainments. Live Adult Scripting for Executive Rise and Proxy Leading Scout Position.

IT is an interesting opportunity with many quirky possibilities. I imagine that the ad post box/inbox is a riot of all manner of strange revelations:-)

In the Beginning, what Original Passions kept Madness away with Healthy Wealth of Flowers from the Magic Perfumed Gardens of Eden...... Personified as an Eve Nymph in Basic Texts.

7. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Up

Accidentaly stumbled upon...

Adultwork.co.uk

Poke about in there a bit, pocket the dosh - happy days.

8. BillboBaggins
    WTF?

Carlsberg don’t do jobs, but...

nuff said!

9. Count Ludwig
    Coat

31K is quite a lot...

...but if that's what they're asking then I'll pay it .

Mines the greasy mac with the turned up collar.

10. Richard 81

Any ideas

Any ideas how to explain this change in career path the missus?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Only

A truly outstanding applicant will suckseed as there is bound to be stiff competition for this position.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a waste of money!

Shouldn't social "scientists" be concentrating on how to protect vulnerable young children who are known to social services and supposedly, under their protection? Maybe they are seeking to extend their areas of failure to the sex industry.

13. Anonymous John
    Joke

£31k for sex trade fieldwork?

Yes, I can just about afford that.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would apply but

you have to work the first week in hand.

15. Mr Mrr
    Happy

31K Drill Bill?

Nine posts here vs zero at the moment in other topics.

Funny how the prostitution is masked under "lapdance". Leeds kinda needs men with a con-talk and rough-talk skills and ability to survive during a year of exploring the night economy. What a great coincidence that I'm thinking about switching to the social studies... is pistol allowed to carry along, or my pencil will be the only weapon while doing the magiq thing... for the uni?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Reg readers need not apply

On the assumption that most of them will be male. The principal investigator's "teaching interests lie in the fields of sex work, violence, 'deviant' behaviours..." Those tend to be pretty misandristic fields.

Paris because she symbolises the commodification of the female body in late capitalism.

17. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Coat

must demonstrate "prior experience of conducting research in the female sex industry"

(just checking the pockets of mine for receipts)

1. Mr Mrr
      WTF?

Poor Unexperienced Gov...

Dude, is there a problem with the prior expirience in the Cabinet? They could took the data right from the Operative memory, and it would be more than correct then, and much less expensive. Form of expressing mistrust to the feds, perhaps.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An ideal opportunity for a member

of our Press-up Corps. They could call the blog Belle de Journo.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@ A/C What a waste of money!

Sigh......

As you decided to look into the serious side, shall I retaliate with a sensible answer.

Maybe they are trying to work how people (including children known to social services) get into the sex trade. What percentage are willing participants and what percentage are forced / coerced. Maybe they want to find the best way to get people out of the business, or how to prevent kids getting into it in the first place.

Maybe, if you stopped reading shite like the Scum and Daily Wail and actually understood what is involved in Childrens Services and other areas of Social work, you'd realise that research is extremely inportant to their work. Hell you may be even interested to know that most abused kids are by members of their own families and close family "friends" and are NOT known by Social Services, despite what the witch hunt headlines may want you to think.

20. Mike Smith
    Pint

RE: Carlsberg don't do jobs, but...

Indeed they don't, at least not in Leeds. They're shutting the brewery, the miserable gits.

I have to park in the middle of the red light district in Leeds. Next time I get stopped by a plodmobile when I'm driving home, I'll show them this article and say I'm doing some preliminary research.

21. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

Prior experience

As an aside, how are you meant to get a first job that requires experience of doing that job? For instance a secretarys job which requires previous secretarial experience.

There are some jobs which this is not applied to and maybe Europe should look into this :

prime minister / queen / dictator / prostitute / popstar / pope / teacher / popular childrens author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like