back to article Toshiba worker arrested for selling copy limit busting SW

A Toshiba employee in Japan has been arrested for selling copy limit breaking software, letting buyers copy digital TV programmes on Japanese recording and playback products as much as they liked. The copy limit software is called Dubbing10 and lets digital media device users copy a recorded digital TV programme up to ten …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. deadlockvictim

Was *selling* it the problem?

I wonder if the problem was the fact that he *sold* it, rather than just distributing it?

I hadn't considered the Japanese authorities to be very interested in copyright and devices that bypassed protection. It seems that times have changed.

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Grenade

Sony Meh!

"Sony added Dubbing10 as firmware updates for its Japanese territory Blu-ray and DVD recorders in 2008, as well as to certain Vaio desktop and notebook computers."

Right, another reason not to buy Sony (after the BMG rootkit)

3. Fatman
    Flame

SONY

SONY - a company on my PERMANENT black list.

Because of their rootkit fiasco, I will NEVER purchase anything SONY again!!!!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Field Marshal Von Krakenfart - RTFA

Did you actually RTFA? Dubbing10 actually allowed for more copies to be made! Previously only a single copy could actually be made. In fact copyright holders were against the Dubbing10 as it allows for 10 copies to be made instead of one. The fact that Sony, whose business includes publishing, issues firmware updates for older machines with one copy limit is to be applauded.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You know what has interested me about Japan

the fact that they don't really appear to care that two of their major cities, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki were nuked by the rampaging barbaric United States.

I would have thought that amount of devastation, would have affected nearly every Japanese family on the Islands. Still it was only 65 years ago, so I suppose something could still happen. The shame felt by most Japanese must be huge, and shame often moves to retribution.

As to the copyright, who cares, let the music and games die, I am quite happy with my own games and music. Entertaining oneself is simple, let the rest of the world turn into a bunch of wankers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

RE: You know what has interested me...

Maybe because the people affected by it realised it was the rampaging barbaric Japanese Empire of that time that ultimately caused the nuclear rampage and they rather move forward than moan about the past, unlike you.

And what's this got to do about anything related this to news?

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

FAIL

Field Marshall and Fatman

1. Tim Bates
      WTF?

Why FAIL?

One of them yeah, because they didn't read the article. The other on the other hand feels the same as many others - rootkit once, and be blacklisted forever.

I personally refuse to buy Sony because of a string of warranty issues, followed by that rootkit incident. I don't trust them anymore, and it's incredibly difficult for a large corporation to regain that trust. The catch 22 is you don't buy the products so you don't see them again to find out if they've changed.

7. Bruce Ordway

the fact that they don't really appear to care ???

They don't "appear to care"??? WTF???

Where did that come from?

I can't think of any comment that has been farther from the point of the original article.

Except that the content is so disturbing, in a strange way, I want to laugh.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like