back to article O2 gives birth to GiffGaff in gust of gabble

GiffGaff, O2's venture into democratic MVNOs, has launched, and its forums are already groaning with customers asking inane questions that other customers struggle to answer. GiffGaff is supposed to be run by its customers, who can earn credit or cash by answering other customers' questions, signing up more people, or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson
    FAIL

50p a spam?

Anyone who mails me that crap will promptly find themselves blocked.

You can't monetise a community.

2. David 39
    Coat

Commentard

well I dont have a comment on this story but my friend once read a story and he said it was good

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well said

I don't have a comment either, but I thought yours was a good point well made.

You get my vote.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

50p per email??

So how long before all the UK website forums are filled with spam messages suggesting we sign up??

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Is there a book on this?

".....while it polls customers about how much they would like to pay."

Can I have a tenner on "bugger all" please? Oh......odds on favourite already?.......never mind then.......

5. Flossie
    Boffin

MVNO ??

MVNO=Mobile Virtual Network Operator

I had to look this term up, you might want to try defining it in the article for those of us who aren't familiar with the acronym.

6. Chronos
    Grenade

Six months

Interesting timeframe: That's just about how long it would take your old network to disable your SIM for disuse if you weren't smart enough to do something chargeable with it in the meantime. Just call me cynical.

Grenade. Well, it's a short-fused time-bomb, isn't it?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GiffGaff

Hehe.. sounds like the last time I spoke to O2's retentions department.

8. TallPaul

If they're groaning now ...

I've just ordered a SIM (the free data for six months was just too tempting) and I'm order number 545 so it looks like there's only 544 customers on the forum so far. So Bob alone knows what it's going to be like there later!

9. Stu Pid
    Pint

Perhaps...

Commentard customers create colossal claptrap cache?

10. Andrew Woodvine

"People-Powered"

The prices are as good as you get on pre-pay, and for standard calls/SMS match Asda Mobile (MVNO of Vodafone). With GiffGaff you also get free calls and SMS to other GiffGaff numbers, which could be useful for some people.

Making the claim that they can offer you cheaper calls because they're "people powered" is a marketing gimmick though. How much do the mobile networks spend on customer service for their pre-pay segment? Maybe an average of 50p per customer/month but we will never know the exact figure. So GiffGaff may be able to make a small saving this way, but not enough to make a noticeable impact in the price you pay for using their service.

Still, it will be an interesting one to watch. Hope they don't go the same way as Easy Mobile, Blyk and Dot Mobile.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

inane?

I see what Bill means about inane. Today's masterpiece is a thread which starts with a link to one user's tasteful series of photos in Flickr, sycophantically unwrapping the semi-origami styled envelope the SIM comes in - which is then going to be thrown away! At the time I write this, it has garnered 4 of the forum's so-called kudos points so far, and promises of referral credit from one or two new sign-ups.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like