back to article Sun's Open Storage roadmap revealed

Sun will introduce a new high-end 7000 series storage product in the second quarter of next year. According to an Australian report the device is codenamed "Anago", a Japanese term for a congor eel, and will have up to 384 3.5-inch SAS hot-swap hard drives and a 6Gbit/s SAS 2 switch fabric. An expansion rack can double …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Giving away "open" storage is not good business

Ask Sun the percentage of systems they have sold vs. given away.

A number over 10% is a sign of early adopter

A number over 50% is desperation

A number over 75% is a going out of business strategy....but also reality.

So Glad I am out of that nut house.

2. mommycalled
    Unhappy

Too bad for Sun

too bad will be out of business because the EU idiots will dither on about the sale to Oracle

3. Soulfish
    Stop

Facts

All of the S7000 products use SAS drives. The 2TB drives are SAS based 3.5" drives, so the anago has a total max capacity of 1.536 PB. The 33% increase is in flash read size. They used to use 18gb flash read drives - it looks like they're moving to their flash on chip solution for the next range of products which I believe is 24gb in size.

4. Freakyfeet
    Stop

@AC (giving away)

To be fair to Sun, from what I can tell and what I've seen, the vast majority are fully paid for.

There were some early seeds but the majority of customers have followed those up with additional purchases.

It's a bit clutching at straws to say they've given away 48PB of storage (which is the current shipped number)

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: Too bad for Sun

I think you'll find what's killing Sun was in effect long before they even had a storage division.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Get this to market.. ASAP

I don't think my company can sustain the alarming rate that IBM DS8000's are turning disks into popcorn.

Then again, until it says IBM on the front, they still won't buy them.

Get them certified with RAC, and theres a winner against the DS8000/SVC combo which *simply* doesn't work for RAC due to its horrific latency, not to mention the amount of writes still in the air at any given time.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

The original reporter got it wrong

The original reporter reversed their read flash and write flash #s. This means that the Anago has the same 6 x 100GB read flash cards, but that they are making a major upgrade to 96 x 24GB write flash cards in the JBOD (original was max 8 x 18GB). So, nothing new over the 7410, but the JBOD will be a major improvement in write performance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like