back to article Feral dromedaries besiege Oz Outback town

An Oz Outback community is battling to regain control of its town from a 6,000-strong feral camel invasion, which has seen the thirsty dromedaries cause "chaos" in their search for water. According to the Times, the drought-hit beasts have descended on the Northern Territory's Docker River en masse, "trampling through homes, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy 70

no more skippy steaks?

throw another camel on the barby?

1. Swarthy
      Stop

Trust me

As the voice of experience - You do *NOT* want camel steak. it's gristly, gamey, and bland, all at the same time.

1. Rattus Rattus

Who cooked your bit of camel then?

I've had camel a few times and I found it to be pretty good, myself. It was certainly better than beef, though not quite as good as ostrich.

2. Nick Stallman
        Happy

Skippy Steak

On the other hand, Skippy Steak is delicious and cheap. :)

2. lee harvey osmond
    Black Helicopters

Too early in the morning for me...

... in the article title, I misread "feral" as "federal".

What on Earth is a Gubmint camel?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Likewise.

In other news, herding them out into the wilderness and shooting them is kind of disturbing. Who signs up to do that, anyway? "Awesome! Craigslist ad for a camel-shooter! And they're all trapped in one place! This is going to be the BEST JOB EVER!"

2. 4HiMarks

Gubmint camel

I think it's a rabbit built to gov't specs.

3. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Hawmps!

Anyone else remember that movie? I try to block it out, but it's scarred me for life...

4. Cazzo Enorme

Ship 'em to the Middle East

There's a shortage of camels in the Middle East at the moment, thanks to some sort of disease that decimated the population. Why not ship a bunch of the younger ones to the Middle East where they may be able to introduce a greater depth to the gene pool and thereby mitigate the disease problem?

1. Roger Jenkins

Export

Australia does thriving business exporting camels to the Middle East, both for slaughter and for racing. This market however doesn't even dent the populations seen in the 'outback'. We can also flood markets with feral donkeys, feral pigs and feral goats, all that's needed is a good price.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
      Pirate

They do ship em

They're pretty costly to ship though.

Better to shoot.

3. keddaw
      Joke

Middle East

They speak a different language there, Bruce.

5. James O'Shea
    Troll

final solution

take off and nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

6. Number6
    Pint

Errr...

Sounds like the townsfolk have got the hump.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what does camel taste like anyway?

It doesn't look at all like chicken, but neither does croc.

8. fixit_f
    Pint

Awwwww poor camels

Rather than spending 27 grand on helicopters and bullets, couldn't they just buy them some water instead?

9. Richard 102

Obviously

Larry Wall is behind this.

10. Graham Marsden
    Coat

My god...

... it's full of camels!

11. rciafardone
    Stop

Was not easier to give them water?

Wasnt easier to set artifitial water ponds outside and far from the town, no shooting, and the camel would learn that there are easier water supply far from humans areas, just as they learned there was water in them in the fisrt place.

The hard part would be the water supply, with the drought and all, but it would be a long term solution, next time they start comming you open the valves too fill the ponds and bang, camles start to leave for the new water source, or if not, you can force them

12. Alan Brown Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

No water for people, let alone camels.

See what the subject says.

Of course, water stands could be used as a way of luring the buggers out of town to shoot 'em. Must be cheaper than larking about with a chopper...

Paris because I'm sure she's had more humps then the australian outback.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like