back to article Cathay Pacific clobbered by kaput khazis

Airbus and Cathay Pacific engineers are "looking into" a series of blocked lav incidents on the airline's A330 and A340 aircraft - the worst of which saw one flight diverted with all its toilets out of commission. Cathay Pacific has been hit three times in 11 days by choked crappers. Two flights - one from Rome on 9 November …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve X
    Coat

I/O?

Shouldn't that be "not accepting customer output" ?

Wait until it happens to 500 people on an A380 in mid-atlantic. Got any more of those paper bags, please?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

* Bootnote

What, no iPlops.

3. Richard 102

I wonder

... if they'll open the pipes only to find Rik Mayall's career.

4. Valerion
    Happy

First step

Check the catering contractors. As it's only one airline, the onboard food could be causing the problem...

1. Jeff Deacon

No, it isn't only one airline, and it isn't only recent!

In 2006, I flew on an A340 of Air New Zealand from Auckland to Hong Kong. We were delayed by about an hour and a half at take off, with the aircraft loaded. Then they told us that it was the loos that were the problem. Throughout the whole of the 12 hour flight, the port side (left side if facing front) loos were completely out of action, and the starboard loos were out of action for about 50% of the time. Never have I been so glad to get off a flight. Fortunately the onward connection via Cathay Pacific to London was a Boeing! Everything worked well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

@Jeff Deacon - you're talking s***

And I mean the title in the nicest possible way.

Air New Zealand don't have A340's. They've got A320's but they don't use them to Hong Kong. 747's, 767's and 777's comprise their long haul fleet.</pedant>

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

1 + 1 = 2

There are 'two independent suction systems'. 'A single failure would cripple either the port or starboard WCs, but it's not entirely clear what did for all of one aircraft's lavatories.'

WIth all due respect, may I suggest that a double failure would account for the disabling of all the WCs.

Paris because her suction system is very unlikely to fail and I'm sure she 'goes' on aircraft often...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Sooooo...

they've got nothing to go on.

BOOM! BOOM!

7. Andy ORourke
    Happy

Oh, the Irony

"possibly due to a change in the cleaning procedure introduced approximately six months ago".

Sould read "possibly due to a change in the cleaning procedure introduced approximately six months ago when we decided to stop cleaning the system every flight and did cleaning every two or three flights to "save money"".

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Oh, the irony

More likely they used to use some sort of heavy duty industrial cleaning jollop that purged the crap (literally and figuratively) out of the system.

Then some useless wazzock in an expensive suit* came over all "must do green things" and they switched to something more eco-friendly that doesn't work.

*a.k.a. "Senior management"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I think

Cathay Pacific are wonderfully polite in my experience. I reckon they're just trying to shield some of their passengers - http://failblog.org/2009/11/25/seating-comfort-fail/

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Odd

I would have expected this on Branson's Virgin Airlines, given what happened when he was playing with his train set.

10. Christoph
    Coat

@ Steve X

Oh dear, what can the matter be?

500 people can't use the lavatory

(It's the one with the spare bog roll in the pocket)

11. pctechxp
    Coffee/keyboard

Not accepting customer input

Haven't laughed so much in ages

Great stuff, toilet humour

12. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Huh, nothing new here

I recall a flight from London to Hong Kong on a BA 747. I had a habit of taking my shoes off on long hauls, and went for a pee. Little did I know that the bog had blocked, so I had the pleasure of putting my shoes on over well soaked socks. Probably means my feet shrank by 5mm, or will never need creosote, or something.

13. Captain TickTock
    Joke

Nice Sun headline effort

But how about

"Cathay Kaput Khazi Chaos" or

"Crappay Pacific" or

just

"Hong Kong Poo-ey!"

Now accepting entries.

Sent from my iPoo.

14. Wize

Instead of 'will it blend'