back to article Atlantis glides home with choked pee nozzle

Space shuttle Atlantis undocked from the International Space Station today for its three-day return voyage to terra firma. All systems are clear for the STS-129 mission's planned landing at Kennedy Space Center on Friday morning — with the small exception of a blockage in the craft's waste water dump line. During a purge of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sureo
    Happy

Thanks...

Now I know more about this subject than I ever wanted. It is interesting just how much mass must be consumed and excreted by an adult human being every day, which explains why space travel is so damned expensive (and impractical, especially when the machinery doesn't work).

2. Adrian Esdaile
    FAIL

we are never going to get to Mars, are we?

If we can't even orbit the Earth for a couple of days without something breaking, we haven't got a hope of getting to Mars.

Bugger.

3. Fluffykins Silver badge

Bloody Impeerial units.

Isn't it about time we fully embraced the metric system?

I, for one, think we should refrain from using the term "Spend a penny" and instead refer to it as "Euronating"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

GTH, Philistine, thems British and US units of weight..

There should be no shame in using 'Imperial' units, or being multi-lingual in units of measurement.

I use miles for large distances, inches for computer and electronics gear, cm and mm for short distances, Centigrade for temperature, and Kg, g and Troy Ounces for GOLD :)

4. Nexox Enigma

New Standard El Reg Unit?

So how much would say, an olympic swimming pool hold, measured in full astronaut bladders?

1. Rob
      Boffin

Approximately

2,505,253 bladders roughly, although I'm sure there are some commentards who can do better maths than I can, I was bored while I was waiting for the kettle to boil.

2. Svantevid
      Boffin

@Nexox Enigma

"So how much would say, an olympic swimming pool hold, measured in full astronaut bladders?"

Thanks to some dimly remembered elementary school physics and El Reg online standards converter:

Bladder = 2,2 pounds -> 0,9979 kg

Let's say that human urine has same weight per volume as your average dihydrogen monoxide -> 0,0009764 cubic metres. Which wouldn't even moisten an olympic swimming pool, but measures 1,86 gf, or somewhat more than one of Katie Price's funbags.

5. CapitalW
    Joke

Sounds familiar........

.....Maybe NASA uses the same contractors Airbus uses.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Uh oh...

Did NASA contract Cathay Pacific for loo maintenance?

7. Matthew 4
    Thumb Up

lol..

They appear to have predicted this very event on the big bang theory

8. Scott 19
    Coat

Man

I'd be pissed if i was a astronaut.

9. sandman
    Happy

Intergalactic Laxative

To quote Dononvan...

I was amazed like everyone when man began to fly

out of earthly regions to planets in the sky

My romantic vision shattered when it was explained to me

Spacemen all wear diapers in which they shit and pee...

10. Christopher Rogers
    Coat

At least its not.....

taking the piss.

Thank you.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

You forgot something in the calculation...

"Solid waste from the shuttle's toilet is compacted, dried and stored in bags"

The liquid extracted from the solid waste as it is dried presumably also has to go into the tank. So the remaining 72 pounds isn't just for humidity, but the extracted liquid as well...

12. NightFox

You have been outbid. Bid again now!

I guarantee this stuff would sell on eBay.

In fact, I happen to have access to a few sandwich bags full of the stuff. Any takers?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"A human bladder can hold about 2.2 pounds of urine at maximum capacity"

That's about 0.9979 kg. I rather suspect it was originally "about 1 kg" and somebody translated it to pounds.

14. richard 69
    Pint

nasa budget takes the piss again...

that is all

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's good to know that whatever the problem is

it's not NASA being full of shit

16. Anonymous John
    FAIL

What?

No plunger on board?

17. AlistairJ
    Happy

Obvious really

The space bus is getting old. Soon it will launch but by the time it gets into orbit it will forget what its gone up there for.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

WHAT!!! SERIOUSLY... YOU'RE NOT TAKING THE P#SS

WHY NOT......

we all are :)))))

Beer cos its already tasting like # pre-packaged!

19. andy gibson

The weight of p*ss

Does anyone really need to know the weight of urine? Surely the capacity in LITRES makes more sense?

1. Trygve

I'm going to hazard a guess...

That the 2.2lbs which probably came from 1kg may have started out as 1 litre.

20. Roger Jenkins

Bladders

After having read the article and the comments, I am now very worried.

2.2 pounds, give or take is 1 kg.

1 kg give or take is 1 litre of wee. Back in the old days when I used to drink a lot of beer I don't think I ever managed to pee more than 1 pint let alone 1 litre. Do I have a small bladder? Does no one else think 1 litre is excessive.

21. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I see

I'm visualising the commander flying the plane in with a Coke bottle between their knees... I understand women can use an appliance, I don't know if that's used by astronauts particularly, and I now have a mental image I didn't want because I don't read adult Japanese comics...

22. Andus McCoatover

Weight?

Er, where's it weighed? I can (vaguely) imagine pissing a Golden Shower at the piss-machine, and it (the piss) floating around the ISS, weighing less than an MP's duck-house in space, like my apartment - - 30 sq. metres, which I recently renamed Bugger Hall.

Volume much more useful. Ta muchly, folks.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

so much for boldly going in space.

thank god the Wolowitz variable didn't occur

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like