back to article Rogue iPhone dev unmoved by App Store spin

Apple marketing veep Phil Schiller has put another smiley face on company's capricious iPhone App Store approval process - but at least one developer who spent months battling the App Store police isn't buying Schiller's spin. As The Reg reported ten days ago, a bug-fix to Airfoil Speakers Touch - an iPhone app from long-time …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stuart Gray

Coincidence?

Shill, Schiller/? Too close for comfort, methinks...

2. Eddie Edwards
    Dead Vulture

Furorer?

How many iPhone apps are there?

How many complaints do we hear?

El Reg thinks this is newsworthy; no-one else does.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Killjoy Jobs

As Killjoy Jobs is having his way, more and more burnt customers and developers alike will ultimately turn their back on the shoddy hardware and restricted software manufacturer. He still clings to his slimebucket antics.

Bet even Hon Zhen is wishing this Scrooge of the digital ages may come to see the Light.

Ranting and raving to all and having his lawyer bloodhoundpack roaming the webs and the real world Mr Jobs is more and more resembling a 19th century badass mogul.

Truly deplore the fact that the true inventor mr Wozniak was nt being shoved out of the Sunking's orbit.

Yes my little Macbook is residing in a smoke free room but when after 23 months the mobo croaked the JobsMob let me down. So I for one will not buy any of their hankypanky trash anymore. One can acquire a new intestine but no one cannot procure a clean Conscience.

Good night mr Jobs, you suck in a grand way

4. MacRat

Boo Hoo

Poor little self important developer that no one will miss.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Coincidence? bloody hell!

Shill, Schiller......

Jesus Christ! there maybe something in that!

And yeah.... The Coincidence is too damned close for comfort.

And Apple has being doing really weird and outright MEAN things as of late, I don't know what has hit them all there. Someone should go to 1 Infinite loop, And check if all of Apple has been taken over by Aliens, or plain ol' human criminals.

I chose "Linux OS to the gods" icon.... because it will be were Im heading if Apple keeps up this crap, after supporting them for freaking years!

7. marcinski

Title

Devs be damned. The iPhone is winning because the punters want it - developers can gnash their teeth all they want, but if they want to get to the people buying the apps, they must do the monkey dance.

Or make your app for WinMo.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Toyless Pram.. nothing more!

Honestly, Rogue Amoeba should just shut the fuck up and leave the App Store for the grown ups! They were TOLD EXACTLY what the issue was when their app was first rejected and decided to continue to resubmit without correcting the issue on the basis that the issue had been missed before. The API call they claim was publicly available to them, they fail to mention, is available ON OS X not the iPhone SDK and so is not actually allowed.

I'm an iPhone Dev and I signed up and agreed to the same rules as RA did and I'm playing by the rules and have only had rejections where my own genuine mistakes have been made. True there have been some shocking rejections but in this case Rogue have no case to make, they were in the wrong and if they don't like it then so long suckers.

I predict now that Apple are using static analysis of binaries to weed out unauthorised API usage we're going to see a lot more of these teary-eyed idiots throwing a strop, telling apple they don't want to be friends anymore and that their dad could have Steve Job's dad any day!

9. John 104
    Thumb Down

What Rule Book?

My guess is that there isn't a rule book or guide of any sort. The review process is probably some folks in an office who look the app over and decide if its going to be objectionable based entirely on how they feel that day....

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Ac@21:45

There is noreasoning with the rabid fanboys like yourself.

You just cant get why the rest of the world thinks Apple sucks ass can you.

Poor deluded chap.

11. Mark Simon

Let me get this straight ...

Does this mean that Schiller can be solely responsible for the downfall of the App Store, and hence for the downfall of the iPhone? I can't imagine that alienating developers is the best strategy for increasing or even maintaining market share.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Missing the point...

DISCLAIMER: IANAL and this is not legal advice.

Everyone seems to be missing the point... the iTunes App Store belongs to Apple and as such they have the right to decide what apps they will and won't sell.

The real issue is that Apple prevent developers from selling their apps through any other App store. Any company trying to do the same in any other industry this would be up for some serious poking around by anti-trust regulators.

For example, company A develops say a new rear spoiler that only fits cars from Company B. If Company B (who has their own "3rd party add-on" store) refused to sell the spoiler from Company A, then there is nothing Company A can do about it (it's Company B's store, and they are not obliged to sell anything from Company A). But if Company B also tried to prevent Company A from selling their spoiler either directly or through another merchants stores, this could be construed as improperly interfering with another companies ability to trade and anti-trust authorities would quit rightly take a look at the tactics of Company B.

In fact, even if Company B does decide to sell the new spoilers from Company A, it would still be anti-competitive for them to prevent Company A from selling the spoiler directly or through other merchants.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Dave 14

"You just cant get why the rest of the world thinks Apple sucks ass can you."

And you can't see that not everyone agrees with you. How many iPods and iPhones are there in the world, exactly?

1. Kevin Smith

@Tony Chandler

"And you can't see that not everyone agrees with you. How many iPods and iPhones are there in the world, exactly?"

I don't see your point. Are you implying that there are so many iPods and iPhones because they are superior to the competition? That would be an obvious lie - their success is down to aggressive marketing and the sheep-like mentality of your average consumer, who doesn't bother to do any market research before purchasing. If you want to call that a triumph for Apple, fine, but personally I'd rather have a better product from them than clever marketing.

Just last month I talked my brother out of buying an iPhone (which he was going to get because a few other people at his work had them) and veered him towards the HTC Hero (which he didn't know existed). He has since thanked me for it.

14. Hermes Conran
    Badgers

The fanbois have a point...

There's no point complaining that you don't like the rules of a cult you are trying to join! Cut your losses and develop for a more rational platform!

15. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Sorry....

...you lost me at "iPhone".

16. Andy 70
    Pint

meh. yawn.

ok, so there is about 20 million of these devices out there? i may be well out of date with that number by now...

and the amount of iSomething owners out there who have never downloaded anything from the store is how many? loads, because they aren't that interested in anything beyond the basic feature set.

they just have an iThingy "cos it is the cool thing to have". never mind figuring out it is one of the most capable devices on the market.

after all, how many iFart, iBeer, and iBoobs applications do you need? kinda sums up the mentality it is catering for.

make mine an android please, as i actually like having usefull apps, thanks.

17. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Better be careful

In about one year Android has already appeared on a heap of phones from different makers... within 2 years there will probably be at least 2 android phones actively selling from all manufacturers....

Unless Google mess up royally with their app store, they are going to steal all of apple's app stores best devs...

Without the app stores benefits, the iphone is much less useful.... I own an iphone now, but I'm selling it to get an Xperia X10 when it arrives in January... I don't expect I'll ever look back. I also expect many will follow. (even the professionals say Android will be ahead of iphone in the near future.)

18. magnetik
    FAIL

@Andy 70

"after all, how many iFart, iBeer, and iBoobs applications do you need? kinda sums up the mentality it is catering for."

You know all those apps account for less than 1% of the total available iPhone apps right? But then again, why take facts into account in a petty rant?

"make mine an android please, as i actually like having usefull apps, thanks."

Sure, coz nobody's writing fart, beer and boob apps for Android, are they? Oh wait ...

19. Cliff

Android Marketplace

Android Marketplace will be full of aFart, aBoobs etc apps once the OS is available on trendy hardware with the marketing woo like Apple have (daily newspapers, full-cover ads showing all the coool apps you can pay for) to champion them. But apps for Android do seem to have a much higher 'good stuff for free' count than their iPhone cousins, and this was where MS won the desktop war years ago - make it easy for the developers to write cool stuff on your platform.

20. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Missing the point

" Everyone seems to be missing the point... the iTunes App Store belongs to Apple and as such they have the right to decide what apps they will and won't sell."

This is not missing the point. Apple provide guidelines of what you can and can't do, if a company decides to do something outside of the guidelines then they are taking a risk that the effort will be wasted. Otherwise they should be able to expect to be able to sell the product they have invested in. If Apple are rejecting apps because of reasons they have not published or they are been applied inconsistently then they are preventing a company to recoup their costs and maybe make a profit.

To encourage developers Apple must make the acceptance procedure transparent and consistent so a someone is not surprised after investing effort.

21. James R Grinter

Re: Toyless Pram

Bzzzt! The API that is on Mac OS X is called by them on their software that runs on Mac OS X. It then sends the picture across the network (running their 'remote speakers', on Mac OS X, Linux, Windows, or iPhone/iPod touch).

Simples. Like those who don't get this, apparently.

22. The First Dave
    Heart

@Dave 14

No, the rest of the world can't understand why certain rabid anti-Apple people completely ignore that there are more people who _love_ Apple products than have ever _loved_ a Microsoft, IBM or Dell product, all put together.

1. Kevin Smith
      FAIL

Re: The FIrst Dave

"No, the rest of the world can't understand why certain rabid anti-Apple people completely ignore that there are more people who _love_ Apple products than have ever _loved_ a Microsoft, IBM or Dell product, all put together."

Since you only mention Microsoft, IBM and Dell I will assume you're only talking about OSes and computer hardware - in which case your assertion is a load of bollocks.

If you want to include iPhone/iPod then we can factor in all the other phone/media player manufacturers and your assertion will still be a load of bollocks.

23. Richard 102

@John 104

"My guess is that there isn't a rule book or guide of any sort. The review process is probably some folks in an office who look the app over and decide if its going to be objectionable based entirely on how they feel that day...."

So, it's like working with marketing or government regulators, then.

24. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@John 104

"My guess is that there isn't a rule book or guide of any sort."

Thank god you're not an iPhone developer then. Leave it to people who don't just guess shit and can at least click on a link to the guidelines published on the Apple developer website.

25. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like