back to article Google to anoint Android, Chrome OS love (eventually)

Google has confessed that its Chrome OS and Android projects are likely to come together at some stage down the line as the firm continues to tinker with its operating system vision of the future. The world's largest ad broker has been developing two platforms independently from one another. Android is an operating system …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. HFoster

notitle

Maybe I should've thought more carefully before I got my HTC Hero...

[needs a facepalm icon]

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

The perfect storm moment is not yet reached

Mobile data is not yet ubiquitous, cheap and protocol agnostic.

When and if it will become, there shall be a true perfect storm moment. I am saying IF because mobile operators will be fighting against that by all means possible. Not a single one of them can justify investment into mobile data if they are to be simple bitshifters. Hence they invent non-existent economic models for non-existent applications and binding it to a hairball-like unworkable technology (IMS).

3. zooooooom
    Thumb Down

WTF?

"Following last week's announcement that Google would open source its Chrome OS"

Google Open Source Linux in marketing spin coup. :-/

4. The Original Ash
    Heart

Fear not, HFoster

Android is open source; If they shaft it by doing something daft involving Chrome OS, there will be a fork.

There, there. Mommy kiss it better, and you shall have a story.

5. Martin 6 Silver badge

@Fear not, HFoster

The Android OS is open source - that doesn't necessarily mean you can run your own version on your phone.

The phone companies aren't about to let you install skype and make free calls on your unlimited data plan, or tether your phone and get rid of your home internet connection.

Phone company sells you a phone, you jailbreak phone, phone company blocks your phone from their network while still charging you monthly fees or a hefty cancellation penalty.

Works for me (if I was a phone company)

6. Il Midga di Macaroni
    Pint

Bring it on

It was practically inevitable. The devil is going to be in the detail (eg how to make the same OS deal with keyboard/mouse on a netbook and touchscreen on a smartphone) but there will be obvious advantages to merging the two.

Hopefully my Android 1.0 HTC Dream will be supported...

7. Pandy06269

For Now

I don't like that last "for now."

Does that mean - "Chrome OS doesn't let you install local webs - but will in the future"

or - "Android let's you install apps locally - but won't in the future"

I know which one I prefer, but it's going to take a lot to tear me away from my Mac to Chrome OS. If it goes the other way, well I guess I'll have to stick to using my phone... as a phone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like