back to article GPS alarm seems alarmingly useless

The Freedom Personal Safety is a GPS device that's supposed to alert loved ones that you're in trouble, but actually seems about as trustworthy as the only other man in the train carriage who appears to have moved a seat closer to you every time you look. The product will set you back £79.95, but comes in a nice yellow box …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Hmm

How long before GPS products polled by text are compulsory along with ID cards??!?!

2. SteveK

Here be titles

Given that it uses GPS so needs access to clearish skies, and if it needs your phone I'm guessing it uses your mobile connection, it presumably only improves safety if you're not: in a building, travelling on the underground, in a remote area with no phone reception, overseas with roaming disabled, etc etc...

So as long as you're outside, in an urban area you're fine.

3. Jamie Kitson

Other Uses

How thick is it? About 7mm? My desk leg is missing about that much, it might be just the thing I need to stop the whole desk wobbling.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Why isn't this available on my mobile anyway?

Given all the expensive (and largely superfluous) features on my mobile phone, I've wondered for years why there isn't a simple panic button. Not connected to the police - I suspect they'd quickly get fed up with false alarms. But merely user-set to phone someone else at the press of a button.

I know I can do this by pre-setting one of the keys, but that still involves unlocking the phone and making a call - a dedicated programmable button to send a recorded voice message with a high-urgency tag of some kind wouldn't seem to be rocket science. I suspect a lot of parents would be very happy to have this feature on their children's phones.

5. Jamie Kitson

Re: Other Uses

And it would have the added benefit over folded paper that I would always know where my desk was.

6. The First Dave

GPS

For that sort of price, I would be expecting to see some sort of direct contact capability - ie its own GPRS or WiFi radio.

7. David Heys

RE: Why isn't this available on my mobile anyway?

@John 186

My Samsung G600 has this option. I only have to press the volume button four times and it will call my wife (with a Star Trek style alarm). She presses the call button and gets through immediately to my phone without me needing to touch it.

Not used it yet thankfully and so far have not had any false alarms.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ironic text / picture congruence

TFA said: "To be fair we only had a couple of crashes "

Appearing below a picture of a car key.

ROFL icon please.

9. Juan Inamillion
    Joke

@Jamie Kitson

HAHAHAHA! Brilliant mate!

10. Frostbite
    FAIL

The review

Don't buy it then?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@David Heys

Thanks for that. Possibly not too late to drop hints for Xmas...

12. Trev 2

Couple of possible little glitches

One thing I wonder is whether it has the same problems as say sat nav's whereby if you don't update them every week they lose track of where the nearest GPS satellites are and thus spend 30+ seconds trying to find them?

Also, one good use for something like this would be during a mugging or similar, but presumably a likely target then would be said mobile smartphone which kindof breaks the whole thing. Also of course prevents the button on the smartphone idea from working, but then perhaps the best idea would be a personal attack alarm or this device doing the sending itself? Now that would be useful.

Maybe v2 will actually solve a problem.

13. Stuart Halliday
    Thumb Up

Daft

My previous company designed one that is tiny, grabs GPS every 10-30mins so it's got some idea of where you are (and doesn't drain the battery constantly) and then when activated tries to get the latest coords (if not sends the last one, it indicates this in the text message) sends a text message or two with the GPS coords in it to one or more phones.

Runs off 2 AA batteries...

British designed too.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Go

@David Heys

Hey, that's a really good idea. I think a bit of mobile-coding may be done tonight...

15. Urbanpanda

re:samsung g600

Pretty much all samsung handsets will do this nowadays, some will even send a text to a pre selected number if the sim is removed and replaced with a new one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like