back to article Bing search bribery a retailer magnet

Bing has boosted Microsoft's retailer revenues by nearly 50 per cent, according to a new search-ad study. With a report released this morning, the click counters at SearchIgnite tell the world that during the first half of the all-important fourth quarter, US retailers spend 47 per cent more on Redmondian search ads they did …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How's Zune doing?

Can't win the vector, so you try to win the first differential?...Sounds a bit like when Zune overtook iPod.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1036558/zune-overtakes-ipod-amazon

How did that one play out then? How will this one play out then?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Sometimes "cash back" is not what you get, but what you GIVE

Apparently, in some cases the pricing is inflated so Bing's cash back isn't really a discount at all.

http://bountii.com/blog/2009/11/23/negative-cashback-from-bing-cashback/

3. Majid

I'll stay with google for now.

Admittingly when I am looking to buy stuff, it seems like Bing gives me the best results. Unforunately, most of the time I am not looking to buy stuff, but to search for programming solutions/technical articles and on that field Google is still king on the returned results.

Bing is faster though.. seems they are catching up.

4. MarkOne
    FAIL

Microsoft bribing? never..

I couldn't imagine such a lovely corporation buying their way around..

Inclidently, I wonder where the Windows 7 browser choice update is? Clearly they paid of the EU comission too.. Some very fancy Astons in the car park there I would imagine...

5. Imagus
    Stop

Remember... the 28th of November

28/11 = global Buy Nothing day. For those who are tired of being consumeristic guinea pigs in the hands of Big Corporations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Nothing_Day

1. Oninoshiko
      Flame

never knew about this...

looks like my christmas shopping day is decided, I can get it done, and protest the sillyness of your protest, all at the same time!

Fun! ^_^

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No surprise

Funnily enough I was only talking about this at work yesterday; Bing/Live (and Yahoo for that matter) has given better ROI than Google for a long time, but the volume is still with Google so the bulk of retail spend has to go there. Lots of retailers would love to spread their risk rather than be at the mercy of Google, but its not practical. I'd rather MS/Google/Yahoo with equal shares rather than one 800lb gorilla in the room.

7. andy 10

@Remember... the 28th of November

Sorry, thats my first day off after payday.. I'll be spending the equivalent of 3 or 4 people on some new toys!

8. Stephen Baines
    Thumb Down

If only Bing had viewers...

I've been trying Bing for one of my websites, and running some adverts on Microsofts ad platform.

It's now Day 23 of the month and out of my monthly marketing budget, Bing has managed a grand total of €0.46 of ad spend. Woopidoo.

Guess I'll be sticking with Google.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Lies, damn lies and statistics

45% growth on 8% market share <<< 10% growth on 90% market share.

If I go from one customer to two, I can report 100 percent growth - but that doesn't make me a big player..

10. DZ-Jay

Re: Remember... the 28th of November

@Imagus: But of course 28/11 was chosen! Everybody in the USA will be spent, resting and recovering from such a wild shopping spree from the day before.

Kind of lessens the point, doesn't it?

-dZ.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like