back to article Venezuelan man survives autopsy

A Venezuelan car crash victim who had been declared dead gave morgue examiners a nasty shock by waking up as he went under the knife, Reuters reports. Carlos Camejo, 33, was not as deceased as he should have been for the planned autopsy, and was woken from his undead state by the "excruciating pain" of a scalpel to the face. He …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A particularly sharp mango

Between that and the Portugese police, it makes you proud to be British, innit.

3. Alan Gregson

He wasn't auditioning for a part in Heroes was he

The lovely Claire Bennett played a similar trick, but at least she waited until the medics were out of the room

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oi'm Not Dead!

*BAM*

Yes, ye are...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old news

Like 4 days after I see this on Yahoo!. But still this is El Reg and this doesn't exactly have an IT angle, so keeping it as Beta news is understandable.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Like 4 days after I see this on Yahoo!"

I've noticed that lately, el Reg is simply not getting updated over the weekend (or maybe it was always so and I didn't notice).

7. Sampler

Not yet dead...

Anyone feel like breaking out into a little Monty Python?

8. Niall

They have a name for it ...

Lazarus syndrome aka believing anything a machine tells you. "look can't you see the flat line now shut up and lie down."

http://www.mlaw.ie/newspaper-archive/2087 this guy did it on Easter Sunday but has yet to be declared a God.

9. Jon Tocker

Operating Room security cameras?

Or video-taping autopsies for future reference.

Situations like this one are just what digital video and youtube were created for...

I would actually pay to see what happened when he "came back to life".

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually...

They did the first cut, noticed that the dud was bleeding (and thus, still alive) so they started stitching the cut quickly. Without anesthesia.

Sh*t. *I* would wake up if someone were doing that on my face. Anyway, the guy was cataleptic, only a truly trained doctor would have known he was alive... there have been dudes who have been *buried alive* because of this. Ow.

Somehow that "Abra Cadaver" episode from the Twilight Zone came to my mind ... now I won't be able to sleep tonight... *shrug*

11. Andrew

Misc

I wonder if his health insurance covers him after being declared dead? Or for that matter, can his family pinch all his stuff left to them in his will?

12. Jason Togneri

I Aten't Dead!

Well, I'm frankly disappointed that nobody else posted that already.

(If you don't get it, read more T. Pratchett.)

13. Bill Fresher

Life insurance

Do life insurance policies have a clause saying they won't pay out if the person comes back to life?

14. Edward Rose

El'reg and the weekend.

Friday, midday:

Pub.

I thought this was obvious. News just doesn't happen on the weekends. Everyone stays at home. So el'reg stay at the pub.

Insurance, they have to pay up one way or the other. Either for the medical side or the life in/assurance side (not quite how it all works before y'all kick off). Ah, who am I kidding, insurance firms don't pay up either way.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps it was Chuck just 'waiting'

I bet he just relaxed and waiting for the doctor to finish stitching before opening his eyes.

Not sure if there were any more reports of a whole hospital getting its ar*es kicked by a dude with a beard.

16. bobbles31

NNNGGGHHH!!! MUST RESIST!!!!!!

I'm not dead yet...I might go for a walk!

Sorry, I held off as long as a could.

17. Mark Roome

Deathwatch

Thats exactly why they started having a deathwatch in the old days, because people they thought were dead weren't, so sometimes they used to set up strings down to the coffinsconnected to bells and have someone up-top spend the night at the gravesite. Must have been an interesting night.

18. Steve Wedge

Pining for the Fjords?

Right -- I'll get me coat...

19. oldfartuk

Theft

Well technically, in the UK, once you have been declared dead by a doctor, your body becomes the property of either the Coroner or your next of kin, so i suppose its theft if you come back to life.......

20. DV Henkel-Wallace

So then what did he do?

I suppose he then pulled himself together, got up, and left.

Now where did I leave that coat...

21. Kenny Swan

Free money

Imagine claiming your own life insurance policy? That's be a claim form worth reading. Reason for health insurance claim? Temporary case of Death. Also does he now have to declare it for future policies? Have you ever suffered from any illnesses? Well, I did die once, but I'm alright now...

This topic is closed for new posts.