back to article Google hoodwinked into pushing Chrome OS scareware

Rogue anti-virus scammers have tainted search results for Chromium OS - the open source version of Google's Chrome OS - in a bid to expose surfers hunting the web operating system to a fake anti-virus scan scam instead. Search terms such as "chromium os download" point to sites featuring scripts that redirect stray surfers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alastair 7

Chromium? Really?

OK, target people searching for Twilight, you'll get a million idiot victims. But how many people looking to download the Chromium OS (and, presumably, install it on a VM, or do a tricky USB-based install onto a netbook) are going to fall for this crap?

2. SilverWave
    Happy

I'm on Linux you Morons :)

LOL

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Alastair 7

For what it's worth, watching Twilight doesn't make you an idiot. My wife wants to see it, but is hardly stupid - for a female, watching Twilight doesn't make you stupid any more than watching Transformers or The Forbidden Kingdom makes guys stupid.

Watching GI Joe: Rise of Cobra will definitely make you stupid, though - even if you weren't when you showed up.

4. DavidK
    Linux

Pretty sure I got the real one

As the process involved tarballs and git and compiling from source.

5. John 62
    Dead Vulture

bobby-trapped?

if only! then the scammers would get the long arm of the law giving them a cuff round the ear 'ole

6. Cliff

Narrow appeal, surely?

I wonder how many people saw the links and thought "A free, openisource OS to download - Ubuntu with a hat on - Quick! I must get to that non-trusted download URL in a heartbeat!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like