back to article Tesla Roadster used for videogame audio

What are the real benefits of an electric car? Reduced CO2 emissions? Less dependency on oil? Quieter inner cities? Nope. The correct answer is actually cooler sound effects for videogames. videogame_tesla_03 Microsoft strapped mics to the Tesla for clearer tyres sounds in videogames That’s according to sound engineering …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Evans

Eeek!

But won't somebody think about the ferrets?!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wind Noise?

How'd they cancel that out? Don't tell me they just toddled around at <10 mph.

3. Annihilator
    Boffin

re: Wind Noise

See the big furry things? They're called blimps. Actually it's just the secondary shell, theres another one inside. Both are acoustically transparent but block wind from travelling through it, effectively creating still air around the microphone. Amazingly, sound engineers know what they're doing :-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wind Noise?

Thats what the ferrets are for. They stop wind noise.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE:Wind Noise?

You see those gigantic fluffy things? they are there to remove wind noise not to make the mics look cute

6. Anonymously Deflowered

Re: Wind noise

That's what the aforementioned ferrets in the photographs are for.

7. Bilgepipe
    FAIL

Re: Wind

"[Wind Noise] How'd they cancel that out? Don't tell me they just toddled around at <10 mph."

Observation skills FAIL.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

@ all the re: wind noise

Yes, we know about the big fluffy wind protectors, but what about the wind noise from the microphone mounts - they'll create a whistling sound which will NOT be eaten by the ferrets.

I don't know if that's what the OP was thinking, but it's still valid.

When a car goes past you, it's not just the engine/gearbox/exhaust noise you hear... (lack of) aerodynamics plays a key part too.

I also wonder how the external mics affected handling - extra weight and drag on the extremities... it all adds up to make the game play far less realistic than going on a joy ride!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I am confused

What are those funny fluffy things around the mics?

10. b b
    Thumb Up

Re:Wind Noise?

I don't believe anyone has mentioned this yet - but as far as I know, the 'ferrets', or blimps as they are know in the trade, are there exactly for this purpose.

Did you think they were there just to make it look pretty ... ?

11. Chris Bradshaw
    Megaphone

Ferret/blimp theme

Can we get off the ferret theme now. please, Mr. Coward? I think we've got it...

Megaphone because apparently someone didn't get it the first time...

12. Barn

Ferrets?

I thought they were called Dougals (after the magic roundabout character) or is it just my sound mixer dad that does this?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So?

All the tyre noises are going to sound like a Tesla then?

Awesome

14. archengel46
    Headmaster

Exhaust? What Exhaust?

Title says it all...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like