back to article Downfall writer praises Hitler rant net meme

The writer of 2004 German film Downfall has described as "tremendously amusing" the plethora of parodies featuring a ranting Hitler reacting angrily to various topical bad tidings - including the news he's been banned from Xbox Live, and Frank Lampard is signing for Inter Milan. The net meme may, Variety suggests, have started …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Juan Inamillion

Nice chap

I worked on Last Exit to Brooklyn in 1989 (on the music), Bernd Eichinger was co-producer. He was a funny guy, especially considering the subject matter of THAT film.

We nicknamed him Burnt Rightfinger...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

My Fav

My fav was the XBOX LIVE BAN one until one regarding NINE INCH NAILS cancelling some gigs appeared...

He ranted about not being able to see Gary Numan sing METAL and CARS with NIN.

I LOL'd as I was at the London o2 gig where they dod those songs live...

and Hitler didnt get to see them...epic lulz....

3. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Up

My favourite is...

The one where he wants a Honda VFR but his officers have only bought him a BMW. He rants:

"I want a V-four engine with chain driven cams. I'm not some fucking second rate actor riding around the world with his... friend."

Classic.

4. Sebastian Brosig

kraut

hilarious. I'm a Kraut though so i have to turn the sound off, else I can't read the subtitles: my brain can't cope with 2 entirely different soundtracks, one of which it has to render internally.

5. Jimbo 6

>title goes here<

Surprised you didn't mention "The Wrong Bike"... my fave by far

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My fave...

...was the Nikon camera one when Hitler ranted about the cost of the D3x - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwf2RShNV0 - superb!

7. Ian Mills
    Thumb Up

Also....

Don't forget the Millwall ones.....

8. Martin 6 Silver badge

meta meme

Or the one where hitler complains about the videos not being funny anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vMUvgce_5s

9. Metal Marv
    Thumb Up

Blu Ray Vs HD-DVD was classic too

'nuff said.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why try to take them down...

They're great and they're parodies... so in the U.S., they shouldn't be able to take them down.

I still like the blu-ray hd-dvd, because it was the first one I saw and it was really funny.

I didn't realize how big it was until I went to show a friend.

AC... cuz I'm still at work.

11. PT

Or...

The one about sharing a platform with Glen Beck

12. informavorette
    Thumb Up

The Western authors didn't go far enough

The Russians beat the West for comedy this time. Their content is a bid bland, it is a rant about the bad service offered by Russian wireless providers. But the real kick comes from the form. They didn't just add subtitles , they also lipsynced the video. The subtitles are in a Russian almost pure enough to fit Politbureau norms. The sound is in a language that sounds like German, but it is actually Russian slang indecent enough to make Snoop Dogg blush, with German suffixes and a few German words thrown in. The innovative word "ahuevaitung" alone is worth a thousand empurplements. (in case you wonder, stripped of all its multi-leveled politically incorrect beauty, the word roughly translates to "I am shocked").

For those who trust their skill of the Russian slang is good enough to understand the video, here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxhs8jMnC7w.

And kudos to the author who is amused by the jokes instead as viewing them as a copyright infringement.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Canon 5d vs 7D

I haven't seen any of the other videos but this one was extremely funny;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZp9WMy4ihg&feature=player_embedded

it helps if you have bought a Canon 5D MkII with the promise of shooting HD video to understand what Hitlers frustrations are.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm just glad...

that I saw the film (subtitles, not dubbed) before the meme started. It is a tribute to all involved (in the film) that it is *still* an immensely powerful scene, despite my having seen it subverted in so many ways. I salute (elbow bent) Herr Eichinger for his understanding.

15. Winkypop Silver badge
    Go

Don't remove them, it's good advertising

Made me go out and get the genuine movie anyway...

16. wv9e

Funny

The one where he goes off because the Vikings hired Farve is especially funny.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

That is almost too funny

"Downfall of Grammar" had had me crying with laughter.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like