back to article How blogger kept Belle de Jour's ID secret

British blogger Darren Shrubsole has revealed how he used a GoogleWhack and IP tracking to create an early warning system for the anonymity of sex worker and writer Belle de Jour, who was outed in the press this week. Darren has run a link blog - linkmachinego.com - since well before the mainstream media had even heard of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SomersetRich
    Paris Hilton

Not how, but why?

OK I can see how he did it, but why?

I'm guessing there would have been a hefty brown envelope of cash for anyone who could supply the tabloids with a genuine name, so the question is what persuaded him to keep his mouth shut?

Paris cos she knows how to turn a profit.

2. David Webb
    Coat

Comment...

"And I always thought Malted would be the one that fingered me. But I can’t resist :-)"

Trying to think of something funny to say in relation to a hooker being fingered....... nothing pops to mind though!

3. Forename Surname
    Happy

Poor old Toshiba...

...someone should have given them a heads-up (no pun intended) so at least they had the chance to yank their 'We've got your laptop needs covered' tagline at the foot of the article :D

4. Michael Sheils

@SomersetRich

Simple answer being he isn't a money grabbing twat.

5. The Mole 1

Seems fair

Somerset Rich there is such a thing a human decency and good manners. They may be underrated now-a-days but they do still exist.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Re: Not how, but why?

It is a sad indictment both of you and society that you have to ask why he didn't take the money instead of respecting her wish to remain anonymous.

7. Clarissa

@Not how, but why?

Perhaps because not everyone sees something like this as a money making opportunity? Personally I applaud his sense of decency.

8. Tim

@SomersetRich

Common decency? Christian charity? A dislike of muck-raking, lowest common denominator, gutter-press journalism?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice work

Of course it was more accidental than deliberate, but it does show that with a little foresight one can help one's friends a little.

10. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

Good for him

Top man.

11. Graham Marsden
    Stop

@ Not how, but why?

"what persuaded him to keep his mouth shut?"

Possibly because he thinks that such things are nobody else's business, certainly not that of the muck-raking gutter press.

Exactly what "public interest" is served by a prurient, lip-smacking "expose" of this women in a rag like the Mail on Sunday? Answer: None.

It's nothing but salacious tittle-tattle designed to let middle England tut at the collapse in morals of our society and the fact that splashing someone's private life over its pages might ruin their (entirely unrelated) career doesn't matter to them in their quest to peddle more of their trash.

12. Anonymously Deflowered
    Thumb Up

"Despunking"

Laugh of the day, thank you!

13. Snark
    Thumb Up

@SomersetRich

"so the question is what persuaded him to keep his mouth shut?"

I could make a smutty innuendo but no. It just goes to show there are good decent guys out there on this nasty net thing who really believe in what they do and the importance of blogging and giving people a voice.

Good on him. Restores my faith a little in netizens.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@ SomersetRich

Maybe he is a decent guy unlike from your comment you.

I hope you have pointed out your comment to all your friends so they know you cannot be trusted if you are paid.

I wonder are you an MP ?

15. Gerard 1
    Thumb Up

The blogger is a decent guy ...

... unlike some of the posters here.

16. ForceMajeure

Impressed

Wow! I'm impressed with the commentators here. Hurrah that the blogger warned BDJ about the Mail [spit!] getting closer.

17. BlueGreen

Good man

A bit of decency there, and amongst most of the posters here, at that.

18. Will Godfrey Silver badge

@SomersetRich

Comments often say more about the poster, than about those who they comment on.

19. Fractured Cell
    Thumb Up

Well Done!

Good for you!

I think this man deserves a round of applause.

Well done to you, Sir!

20. J-Wick
    Thumb Up

Good for him...

Top bloke. Maybe she made it worth his while?

Still prefer Billie P. though.

21. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I'll raise a glass to Belle...

Laphroaig of course ... and the wife (who also adores Belle) has just bought me a very nice bottle for my birthday too. I've been following Belle's blog for years and she's a class act - as is Darren too for simply doing the right thing.

They're both welcome for dinner in my house anytime.

22. This post has been deleted by its author

23. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Yay!

Anyone who deprives the Daily Heil of a chance to be shitty hypocritical muckraking scumfucks is all right by me.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GoogleWhack database?

How secure is the GoogleWhack database, it could be full of all kinds of secret associations that people are monitoring.

25. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"Moral outrage"?

"Couldn't care less about this moral outrage above."

Not moral. It seems to me that you wouldn't know what it is even it hit you to the nose.

Try trust or principles. You can't buy either.

You can buy loyalty, but even that is temporary.

26. Version 1.0 Silver badge

"Moral outrage"

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.

- Abraham Lincoln

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like