back to article Apple iPad to get OLED screen

Apple's much anticipated iPad won't appear until the second half of 2010 - but at least the delayed model will come with a 9.7in OLED display rather than an LCD. So claims a mole within Taiwan's contract manufacturer community, according to a DigiTimes report. The OLED panel will be coming from LG, apparently. LG signed a $ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. rpjs

But if there's to be two models

...an LCD and an OLED one, why delay the LCD version until the OLED one is ready? It's not like the fanbois won't buy both anyway.

2. noboard

Errr....

So when did an Apple tablet move from rumor to "It's coming out next year?"

Must have missed that news day.

3. Stu
    Grenade

Consumer confusion!?

Yes, there are surely idiots out there who would be confused by varying screen technologies between models, but all you have to do is hold up both devices and show them the little piece of paper dangling from a string tied to the packaging, you know - the thing with the £ sign and numbers... That'll quickly make their minds up.

I always thought Apple should have released a 'premium' 3GS model with an OLED screen as well as the LCD model - its not like OLED isn't already being used in similar devices elsewhere.

4. A. H. O. Thabeth

I agree with "Errr.... # By noboard" or to miss quote Brazil

"My speculations have speculations!"

Are Apple working on a tablet almost certainly, but we Apple release a tablet?

5. Hedley Phillips

OLED is fab

I saw an OLED television in the Sony shop last year and was blown away by the quality.

It is what I thought LCd tv's should have been like rather than the fuzzy, pixelated pictures I see in everyone's houses when they are watching SD television (yes, I know they look great with HD but not many people I know have HD).

Ok the prices are very high just now and it is only for the early adopters (or anyone who lives in Surrey and doesn't seem to have been affected by the recession, which judging by the number of 09 plate Range Rovers is nearly everyone) but give it time and the prices will tumble down.

Can't wait.

6. E Haines

iPad

It seems people are trying to force the iPad into existence by sheer force of rumor. Wonder if that works.... (Of course, even if Apple does make it, people will only complain about it and make snide comments, so you have to wonder why the interest.)

7. MacRat
    Pint

Coming out next year

The rumored tablet has been due to come out for what? 5 years now?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

pricey

I really, really, really want something like a hybrid between a netbook and an ipod and I do think the iPad could be that device. I read this article with baited breath right up to the bit about the price tag...

BZZZZZT, no sale! $2000 (so probably between £1500 and £2000 in Rip-off Britain) is twice what I'd be willing to pay for something like this that will never last more than a couple of years tops before it would spontaneously break, fall off the table, have a drink of beer, lose a fight with my keys or any of the other mishaps that have befallen my various phones, laptops and PDAs over the years.

This topic is closed for new posts.