back to article Sony Ericsson slashes US presence

Sony Ericsson, bowing to the pressures of a Meltdown-induced decline in worldwide handset sales, has announced more layoffs in conjunction with a wide-ranging restructuring. On the same day that President Obama warned that the US economy runs the risk of a "double-dip recession," Sony Ericsson doubled-down on its employee …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MacRat

What US Presence?

I didn't even know Sony Ericsson had any employees in the US.

You can hardly even find their phones in the US.

My Sony Ericsson P800, P910 and P990 phones were purchased in Singapore and Hong Kong.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

Minor US presence

Missed deadlines and limited stock availability for US phones. Amongst other things. Sad to see, I love my SE phones, even with their limitations. But my next phone will likely be a Nokia, since they seem to share many attributes with the SE that I like so much.

Damn shame. And why develop phones specifically for the US market? How much extra does it cost to produce a phone like the K850i, which works everywhere by supporting 850, 1900, and 2100 3G networks? If the C905i did such, I would buy the damned thing but, no, SE has this thing about 'a' models, and the only C905a is butchered by AT&T, aside from being butt ugly.

I feel sorry for the US employees. I had been in contact with one fella in corporate who was pleasant, knowledgeable, and helpful. I hope he can either stay with the company and be taken care of or find another job which allows him to flourish. (Really, I don't find people like that often; he'd be a great asset to any corporation.)

Anyway, enough of that. Back to being pissed that SE has effectively ignored us. Sure, only 300 million people, but I wonder what the purchase rate is for phones here. Bah. My heat hurts too much to contemplate on this right now.

Paris, bah.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

that's two this quarter

Earlier this year NCR announced they were relocating to Atlanta (and Columbus) Georgia. I can only think that this has something to do with corporate tax breaks.

5. BB
    Dead Vulture

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

History repeating itself in the fashion of Motorola in Europe. One must wonder whether teaming up with Sony was a good move for Ericsson. Like Motorola, they haven't released a handset of note for years - no amount of teen-focussed advertising can change that.

Ericsson: divorce from Sony, go back to your Swedish roots and start creating the minimalist handsets for which you were famed. I still hold my old T28 as the pinnacle of mobile design!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like