back to article Egyptian telecom counts cost of football riot

Police in North Africa were braced for further trouble on Wednesday night after Algeria secured a 1-0 win to advance to the World-cup finals next year at the expense of arch-rivals Egypt. The play-off in neutral Karthoom follows sparked by an earlier match between the two. Egypt won the final group qualifying game 2-0 against …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Try the NBA sometime

Their fans just riot in the streets, loot & pillage and burn down buildings when THEIR team wins!

2. fred slack 1
    Alert

Same here

Must be the DNA. We get the same in Los Angeles. Don't even need a soccer game.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

If a sport lacks real action

Perhaps people are more inclined to carry on, riot......just a theory OK.

Soccer: zzzZZzzz

NBL: yawn-a-rama

NFL: wake me up when it's over

(However, Cricket sorta blows this theory out of the water)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Needs reclassification....

If football continutes to attract this level of violence, it might have to be reclassified as a religion.

5. Craig 28

re:DNA

The sharper eyed among you might notice another common denominator:

Two opposing groups (primarily men it has to be said) with a lot of adrenaline and testosterone flowing around.

To me it doesn't make a difference if it is high profile team sport or a street gang, they're both dangerous to bystanders. Only difference is there is supposedly a "legitimate point" to sport.

Some people think that sport is an outlet for violent tendencies in humanity. In the participants maybe, but the spectators are just getting a rush of adrenaline and testosterone with nothing to do but watch. Of course they're going to start standing up, yelling, and in some cases throwing things or picking fights.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Dingles @ B WS

Heh, I remember hearing about Burnley being beaten 5-0 at Ewood Park: the fans then proceeded to go back to Burnley and trash their own town centre. Blackburn town centre, on the other hand, was virtually unharmed..

It's DNA & Football - Together, they create a passionate mix that can boil over substantially (Columbia)

7. Coltek

So, it's all quite normal huh?

Civilized.... And that's all.

8. Ben Tasker
    Pint

@Craig 28

You missed a very important extra ingredient. My icon should lend a clue as to what that might be

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like