back to article Cosmic Vampire sheds light on dark energy

Astronomers have taken time-lapse images of a "Vampire Star" that is causing them to excitedly quiver about possible insights into the Universe's expansion. Using the imaginatively-named Very Large Telescope and "adaptive-optics techniques", scientists at the European Southern Observatory (ESO) were able to take images and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Will Space ever be clear or always infested with Ideas?

“Whether V445 Puppis will eventually explode as a supernova, or if the current nova outburst has pre-empted that pathway by ejecting too much matter back into space is still unclear,” says Woudt. “But we have here a pretty good suspect for a future Type Ia supernova!”

If it pre-empts that explosive supernova pathway by ejecting just enough matter back into space, it will remain an active current nova and super bright perpetual star sytem in its own right/exhaustive dark matter cycle?

2. Steve Foster
    Joke

Obvious, innit?

V445 swallowed either silver or garlic, and had to cough it back up or die painfully.

3. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Presumably...

... this Vampire Star is not in the constellation of the Southern Cross...?

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Eloquently?

Hmm, the sheer eloquence of that one cost me a keyboard.....

5. Inachu
    Thumb Up

Nice read!

I enjoyed reading this article but not as much as finding all of carl sagans videos on hulu!

6. silverlion
    Stop

Plasma Z-pinch and double layers

Oh, come on.

99.9 % or more of all matter in the universe is plasma, and astronomers/astrophysicists/cosmologists are completely overlooking the part that electricity plays.

This is clearly a very electrically stressed star, with hourglass-shaped plasma double-layers extending along the axis of the current it's subjected to.

http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2005/arch05/050621butterfly.htm

http://www.holoscience.com/news.php?article=b8zgwr0h

The electric model of stars:

http://www.holoscience.com/news.php?article=x49g6gsf

7. Daedalus
    Headmaster

In plain English

Type Ia supernovas have this property: they all seem to have about the same maximum brightness when they go off. So if you see one in galaxy A that is one-quarter the brightness of one in galaxy B, you know A is twice as far away as B (apparent brightness goes down as the distance squared). It was when studying the brightness of supernovas in distant (and hence long ago in time) galaxies that observers realized that the Hubble scale (distance related to red-shift) was off, that some extra repulsion was pushing the expansion of the Universe. Hence "dark energy".

However it's all founded on the assumption that all Type Ia's are the same. Hence the need to study them closely as they develop.

8. Luther Blissett

God bless all who sail in her, vampires, sirens, Uncle Tom Cobley 'n' all

@Graham - the Vampire Star is in... err, the Poop Deck.

I am not making this up - Homer did. Puppis is the back-end of Argo Navis, the good ship Argo of mythological fame, from which the good shop Argos of retail parks fame derived its name.

9. ShaggyDoggy

I for one

welcome our new vampire nova star eating overlords

10. kwikbreaks
    IT Angle

Dark this dark that

I get the distinct impression that the terms dark energy and dark matter just mean that the cosmologists can't make their sums add up but hate to admit it so they come up with BS. Bit like the chancellor I guess but cheaper.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like