back to article UK2 email migration still not finished

Hosting company UK2 has still not finished migrating customer emails across to a new system. Just to recap: on 6 November, one week after the original problems, UK2's managing director Martin Baker promised us all mails would be restored by Sunday night. On Monday, the mails still hadn't moved. On Tuesday 10 November, network …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Foster
    Badgers

UK2 doing customers a favour...

...by reminding them that email is not a time-sensitive medium.

2. Mike Bird 1
    Flame

@Steve Foster

Tell that to someone who is being emailed their Flu-Jab details by their GP.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Mike Bird1

Then they should follow up with a phone call, shouldn't they? NOBODY should trust email for anything important or that can't be followed up by using the phone. You know that thing, the telephone? Been around about 80 years or so.

4. Si 1
    Gates Horns

They're probably using Vista to copy the files

Vista likes to tell you it will only take 24 hours to copy a few gigs of files and then suddenly jump the time up to 10 years before wavering back and forth between the two. That's probably what happened here.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missing the point ?

Guys: UK2 is working for new arriving email. So it's not about flu jabs. It's the accumulated mailbox that's missing - some people believed that this was a carrier-class service, and use IMAP to interact with their mailbox online.

6. Nigel 11
    Thumb Down

What are they migrating?

What are they migrating from and to? From Unix to Microsoft Exchange, maybe?

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK2 Email Forwarding Fiasco

Three weeks after the problems began UK2 are still not forwarding e-mails sent to addresses on the domains they host for us. Worse, the senders are being told that

'The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <name@domain >'

So our contacts think our addresses are dead or that we have done a runner. UK2 have done nothing whatsoever to tell either their clients or the senders of messages they are paid to forward that there is a 'temporary' forwarding problem. There is no 'sitrep' on their blog', to read it you would think that they are functioning normally [perhaps, for this bunch of cowboys, they are!] They clearly don't give a toss for thier customers: AVOID!!!

8. dreamingspire
    Happy

Up and out

Isn't it time that Martin Baker pulled that lever on his ejection seat?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

You mean you're surprised???

We're talking about UK2 here, for goodness sake. They are probably still trying to work out where the network cable goes.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Strange "solution" to the problem

I would have thought the best thing to do, would be to replace the broken storage array with a working storage array.

Instead, they have moved the email to the US onto a different system, that does not integrate so well with the domain services they sell. They are probably having trouble copying all the email from one system to a different one and keeping everything intact, apart from doing so across the pond.

The funny thing is that their home page says they are the biggest UK host, but it doesn't seem that they can actually HOST.

11. Equitas

So precisely what's wrong?

Precisely what's not happening? For how many people is it not happening? Doesn't seem to be affecting any of my domains for which email is being forwarded?

If this is IMAP and people are really foolish enough to rely on emails left on someone else's server as anything other than a backup, they have only themselves to blame if historic emails are lost.

Bouncing emails instead of forwarding them is a different story, but clearly not affecting everyone.

Quality service? Sadly, the record is that many firms offer good service for a few years and then go belly up or are taken over for other reasons. Others are like UK2 -- currently available at a reasonable price. Nothing guaranteed. You get what you pay for with UK2. With most other companies it seems you pay more but you either don't get what you pay for for very long or you don't get what you pay for at all.

Anyone in business presumably has enough sense to own their own domain, in which case, if it's a .uk address, they have the option of lifting it from the current host and placing it elsewhere, even if the current host is un-coperative or unresponsive. Nominet -- amazingly -- comes out brilliantly in such a situatiion; extremely helpful and acts for a purely nominal fee. It's a strong argument for having a .uk domain rather than a top-level one.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

crudeoil

UK2 is proving to be a disaster. i have been with them almost since their start and they have always been bad at advising people when they make changes. I have various paid accounts with them and have bought numerous domains. For more than a month I have had poor or no email service. They appear to have merged with or been taken over by a US group. The first news I had about migration of accounts was when some of my email addresses would not work. They did not bother to tell clients that the login is now the full email address and not just the prefix. This was particularly unfortunate as I have been traveling a lot recently and my blackberry stopped working for my UK2 accounts. It was purely by chance I discovered what they had done.

I now find that some email accounts work and others do not. Their Technical Support Department is proving useless. It is impossible to get through on the phone and they do not always answer tickets even when marked critical. They also do not read the tickets and do not answer the queries.

My major account which had a large filing system now has an inbox. When i asked them (probably 3 times) about migration they asked whether I had a connectivity problem and told me the account was in order. The files have disappeared.

On one account that they claim has been "migrated" I have discovered that the whole filing structure has been changed. In the past UK2 system would only allow you to created sub- directories etc in the In-box. Now although it still allows you to create sub-folders in the in-box the old folders with messages are part of the main directory - if they exist. Again I found this out quite by accident by creating a new folder with a name from the old files. If created in the main system it appears and in some cases the messages miraculously appear too. (Not always and not with any consistency). If created in the in-box the folder appears but with no messages. However if you then try to delete the folder you cannot. OE6 tells you the folder does not exist! it does and it appears on the web-mail page too.

It is a shambles.

I discovered that my accounts are now on Eastern Standard time! I live in the UK. When I tried to change to the UK time I discovered that in their wisdom I have a choice only of GMT. London - like my mail files - has ceased to exist. Brilliant for a "UK" Company.

It is impossible to speak to anyone in sales or technical. I have just spent about 5 minutes calling "Sales!!!" in the UK. After ringing for about 5 minutes the phone diverted to voice-mail - An American lady who cannot take my call right now - obviously - it is the middle of the night.

I have recently bought a large number of domains through UK2 - I now have no invoices, records of purchase, records of account details, passwords etc.

I am seriously beginning to doubt I shall ever see my files again.

I have backups of most data but during the traveling of the last three weeks i have nothing.

They are a disgrace.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Ardcomp
    FAIL

UK2 are seriously CRAP

I have no email now for 2 weeks and UK2 will not answer the phones or respond to support tickets marked critical.

The issue for me is my emails are being bounced so all my clients and collegues think I am no longer here.

As UK2 have a contract with us - all of us, are they liable for loss of business, loss of service and loss of potential?

If so, why not a class action against them? This level of incompetence and loss of service must justify a level of compensation.

15. spikejd
    Pirate

UK2 Dissappear Completely

Not just the email system but now the whole of there web presence are no more...I wonder where we will be with UK2 in the morning?

Perhaps they have gone home and put the lights out.....

Any news from the MD. Perhaps he would organise a "Dunkirk" style operation to help us, his long suffering customers, to migrate to a reliable supplier and make our businesses safe!!??

16. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Email still not working properly

Emails "sent" from "their" new webmail service are still not being delivered.

Emails sent to their new email service are bouncing with messages that they cannot be delivered.

Connections to the new email service by POP3 are only working intermittantly, and some applications cannot ever access it (but they did reliably before).

Service tickets are not being responded to.

Is the MD still giving interviews to the press, or has he filled his suitcase with all the money from punters and legged it to Bali?

Is it 2012 already? Has London been swallowed by the Earth, but the rest of the world doesn't know about it?

17. nigelhetherington
    Megaphone

UK2 one way to restore access your POP account

I have had two problems with UK2 following on from their disasterous email migration.

POP access. A simple fix ( for me )

My web mail works fine, yet the POP was logging in fine though reporting no new emails.

I had the incoming server set as pop.uk2.net

change pop.uk2.net to mail.uk2.net

Sub-Websites not working ... well uk2 managed to re-write all my index.html files. Use you back up to reupload your index.html

By the way, it seems that the replies from UK2 technical support ( when they actually reply ) are not going ( at least to my ) to your selected 'support' email address, they are only available on their web site.

18. spikejd
    Pirate

They Did Come In To Work This Morning

Now waiting to find out from them how and why all of my UK2 registered domains AND their own sites were down last night / early morning

Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath!

19. Jonsi
    FAIL

So was anyone's mail migrated ?

It says on the Service Heartbeat page that the majority of existing emails have migrated and they are just doing the remaining ones manually.

Well I for one have still not got any of my existing mails/mailbox structure and was curious to know if anyone else had ....

20. Jonsi

Almost there !

As an update - I finally got a response from support and they manually restored old mail (but lost new mails in the process).

Anyway - I'm back up and running after just over 2 weeks!

21. This post has been deleted by its author

22. thaigreencurry

Still losing email!

I get zero spam now (not a bad thing) but also lose 100s of emails a day and God knows where they end up because they aren't being bounced back to the sender.

I've now waited 5 days for another reply to my ticket. I've taken to constantly sending twitter messages to @ditlev and @uk2 but still no response there either!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like