back to article IT workers top UK inertia league

Personal training outfit Fat Free Fitness has shockingly revealed that the UK's IT workers top the nation's inertia league - drinking too much coffee and doing way too little exercise. A probe of 1,734 employees found idle IT so-and-sos are Blighty's least energetic, with just 19 per cent meeting the gov's activity guidelines …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ReadyPeople

Meh!

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

2. MinionZero
    Pint

If we are drinking too much coffee...

... we must be getting exercise from keep running to the toilet!

which reminds me, time for a coffee. :)

3. H2Nick

Note to self : Must go to gym

It's a fair cop.

4. Barry 7
    FAIL

Why is it...

the morons on this site are holding a competition to win a nintendo DSi ??

Surely a Wii would of been a better idea.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Yeah, whatever.....

I was going to write a scathing rebuttal but I just couldn't be bothered.

Damn! in the time it's taken me to type this my coffees gone cold.

6. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!
    WTF?

8 Cups a Day? You're having a larf, right?

That's the recommendation? I usually get through that by lunchtime!!

They're probably connected to the alcohol guidelines where they have openly admitted that they plucked the figures out of thin air - which are now being used by insurance companies to calculate premiums....

"There is clearly a correlation between sitting at a desk or wheel all day and how active you're likely to be."

After the break: Bear shits in woods, Pope is a Catholic, Gordon Brown is actually employed by the Taliban to destroy Western Democracy.

7. Mr Bear
    Stop

Beans

The time I spend walking to and from my car should be about 15 minutes a week and then there is usually another 15 minutes of wondering round computers. Plus I never drink coffee.

Processed Cocoa beans are a veg aren't they?

8. James 12
    Paris Hilton

Try this one

Anybody to Developer

"Doughnut "

"No thanks"

Year right...

PH as we have all enjoyed her "exercise" video

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If management would stop expecting us to be at our desks 25/8

we might find time to get healthy. I suspect it has (for the boss) the added benefit of shortening our lives and thus our pensions.

10. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Up

WINNERS! WE'RE NUMBER 1!

Yay!

To quote Bill Bailey..

#1 for childhood asthma!

#1 for childhood obesity!

#1 for teenage pregnancy!

Makes you proud to be...oh wait!

11. Ismael
    Thumb Up

No shit Sherlock?

So, an IT person does less exercize than an Fitness Instructor?

Who would have thought that?

12. Richard 102

Whatever

I've noticed most managers get in their daily exercise by jumping to conclusions, generally half-baked ones, and therefore unhealthy.

13. Quirkafleeg
    Pint

Gym tomorrow, then

Remember, tomorrow never comes…

14. xyz Silver badge
    Pint

I get all my excercise...

....going back and forwards to the smoking shelter

Oh with coffee in hand.

20 fags = 20 coffees. I like a balanced diet

15. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

Suppose

we are just more honest, and well, walking is good for the brains, and where could one walk in an office if not for a cup of coffee (and a fag).

I would be more interested to have some figures on life expectation. (and forget the money part).

16. alphaxion

erm

Dunno about you, but I get plenty of exercise lugging PC's, printers and servers around everyday (tho not as much exercise as when CRT's ruled the desk), running up and down stairs to sort out problems etc.

Also, I must be the only sysadmin in history to not drink a drop of coffee - only ever water, mainly cause they wouldn't let me partake in the odd can or few of beer while working, something about health and safety. Don't see it myself ;)

17. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

L4d2 Released

Forget brains, "Coffee.... Coffee!"

On the other hand, why sleep at home when you can sleep at work?

Paris, she's probably safe from zombies

I know, mostly off-topic, but the cafe isn't open yet.

18. Paul 56
    Pirate

I ain't no statistic

Ow well glad to see I don't fit the bill of lazy developer.

I go to the gym 5 to 6 times a week for hour and half am only 11% body fat and full of muscle!!!

Although 2 years ago I was 6st heavier and well within the statistic, but now I am fit and healthy and run over 20 to 30km a week and lift weights 3 times a week.

30min of moderate exercise a day I must make up my weeks worth in about 2 days blah!

The up side of this I am a skinny size 28/30 and get to eat 3600 calories without putting anything on.

Skull cause I ain't dieing anytime soon..unless it over exercises.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Paul 56

Now, I reckon it's possible to go too far. Healthy body, maybe- but are you a Narcissus with a mentally unhealthy habit of lifting weights while admiring the ripple of your muscles in a mirror?

Personally, I get my exercise quota just by cycling to work every day.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Paul 56

Well maybe, but it seems to have shrunk your brain.

Personally, I get no exercise and can still speak English.

21. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Who needs exercise? Can you really change your body size?

I've done virtually no exercise for the last 5 years or so, apart from maybe a mile walk to and from work for a couple of years. I eat whatever I want, chocolate, takeaway etc... (before that I'd be doing 10-15 miles off road cycling a week and occasional 3 mile runs)

Since turning 30, in those 5 years, I have gone from a 30" waist to a 32" waist and that's about it.

I did feel a bit guilty last week and started some exercise. Cross trainer: 5 minutes early Sunday, 10 mins lunchtime, 15 mid afternoon and 20 evening. Then after work on Monday did 30 mins and could have maybe done more.

So, do diet and exercise really make any difference? Is it just down to your metabolism?

I've only met 1 person who has made serious changes to their weight during their lives. A lady who went from being BIG to being very skinny, but she was in the military where exercise and a diet free from junk food is easy to find.

22. dek

Ridiculous!

Here's a defence for all you coders: my fingers travel 100's if not 1000's of metres per day, my brain consumes calories like nobodies business, fook the rest of my body if it can't keep up ;-)

23. Tamaradigitalis
    IT Angle

So What?

It doesn’t surprise me that IT workers are the unhealthiest workers in the UK and despite them drinking inordinate amounts of coffee and not in taking the healthy daily amount of fruit and veg... you don’t see many obese IT workers. I think stress is a factor and even though they’re not running on a treadmill 30 minutes a day, they probably exert themselves enough each day answering to other people’s technology stresses which must be a regular and demanding occurrence. IT geeks should take a moment out of their stressed life and relax by playing on this game specially developed for IT workers... IT Manager 3: Unseen Forces - http://itmanager3.intel.com/en-gb/default.aspx?iid=ITMG_IgniteSeed_UK_theregister

24. DavidK
    Badgers

Too much coffee, too little exercise.

Bear+shit+woods.

Badgers, as like bears they can look cute but can also be downright nasty.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like