back to article Pirate Bay says tracker tech is so yesterday, man

The Pirate Bay has kyboshed its tracker technology and replaced it with a decentralised peer-to-peer network that all modern clients can hook up to. The so-called distributed hash table (DHT) allows freeloaders to circumnavigate use of a tracker in order to download torrents. Instead, they connect to a DHT network to find …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mafoo

Bandwidth

DHT, especially for popular torrents, can have quite a high bandwidth overhead IIRC.

cant descried if its a good or bad thing this... If your subjected to non port 80/993/143 etc bandwidth limitations by your ISP, then this could slow things massively.

Still waiting to see how long it takes for the Games Factory to go tits up when they realise there's no way in hell they are going to make money, but I'm guessing the move to DHT might have something to do with covering their asses.

2. Andrew A

Yes, that's definitely the real reason for shutting down the trackers

It's absolutely nothing to do with the fact that TPB were tracking so many torrents their trackers had become horrendously unresponsive, and users were having to rely on DHT anyway - or other trackers tracking the same torrent.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

dead?

http://thepiratebay.org looks like it's been hacked and turned into some sort of ad site today. WTF?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Yeah right

The only way to download anything from TPB recently has been by manually adding trackers. I think they're kidding themselves (or us) if they really think DHT has done away with good old fashioned trackers.

5. John Sanders
    Grenade

Perhaps another day... but surely.

Not today, and certainly not next month.. But give it a couple of years and DHT+Crypto will be on such a state of development that the RIAA's of the world can kiss goodbye to any kind of control/tracking of what's going on in the P2P networks.

All I can say is that they brought all of this upon themselves the day they decided to close Napster, they made their bed choice, soon they'll have to lay on it.

6. Neal 5

hell yeah, baby

welcome to the cloud.

This topic is closed for new posts.