back to article Microsoft donates .NET Micro Framework to open source

Microsoft has released part of its .NET Framework - the part for internet-connected smart devices - into the open-source community. The company said on Monday that it's releasing source code for the .NET Micro Framework under an Apache 2.0 license. Microsoft is also creating a community of "interested and involved members to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Angelico
    Gates Horns

Colour me cynical...

...but I would reaqd VERY CAREFULLY the entire licence and compare it word for word with another copy of the Apachce 2.0 licence just to make sure tehre are no ticking time bombs in there.

This is not The Mouse that Roared, but the Proved In Court Monopolist here.

Caveat emptor! even if the price is supposed to be NIL.

2. Timo

decent idea at the time, doomed to fail

Way back when SPOT was unveiled it was an interesting idea. But in my opinion the monthly subscription charges was what made it a non-starter. (My how things have changed, now a smartphone probably eats up 3x that in a data plan subscription.)

Back then pagers were still pretty popular, too so maybe nobody needed them for that reason either.

Neat technology, had to cost a small fortune to get nationwide radio coverage, but not worth the subscription.

3. Dirk Vandenheuvel

What?

> It morphed out of the Smart Personal Objects Technology (SPOT)

Errr???

.Net came to being to solve the COM mess and to "fight" Java a bit. It has done both those things rather well. Most MS developers now use .Net unless you are into games stuff (C++) or very specific stuff (smart cards for example).

4. NB
    FAIL

so...

axe 3,000 staff and try to get the open source community to do their work for you... that's pretty low, even for MS. I can only hope that the community roundly tells them to shove it up their collective arses but that'd probably be wishful thinking.

5. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Licensed by?

The TCP/IP part that they can't release this way is "licensed by a third party". I don't understand that. If "licensed from a third party" and therefore not belonging to Microsoft to give away, I would understand.

6. The First Dave

@Dirk

The article made it pretty clear it was talking about this single portion of the whole .Net beast, and not the whole thing.

Bye Bye anyway, you clearly won't be missed.

7. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Badgers

Badger's paws

Has the original devavation of "Apache" been lost on Micro$haft? as in "a patchy" server, a little freudian slip methinks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like