back to article Google Chrome OS due next week, says someone

Google will offer downloads of its Chrome operating system any day now, according to an internet rumor. Citing a "reliable source," TechCrunch indicates an early version of the Chrome OS will arrive with a limited collection of hardware drivers "within a week." Google had previously said that an early version of the OS would …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Jackson 1
    Linux

Ubuntu with 1 app

It's pretty clear that "ChromeOS" is just going to be Ubuntu with Chrome installed (see omgubuntu.co.uk for info and screenshots)... Chrome then has the clock, battery and wifi integrated into it's title bar.

Hardly any of the 'general population' has heard of Ubuntu, but EVERYONE has heard of google - and I reckon it won't take long for a chunk of PC users to start demanding "the simplicity of google chrome" (ie. no viruses or apps, just pure web browsing). They can't complain at the price either.

It could be the start of a mass migration to Linux in all but name. What bets M$ will start offering Windows for £0 to consumers soon?

2. Pandy06269
    FAIL

Is it really an OS

Am I missing something? It's a browser with a clock, battery and network thingy in the title bar, which probably reads from the underlying kernel.

I developed a selling system at work which reduces the need for users to have to touch their Windows desktop - built-in web browser with favourites, clock, news ticker, terminal, etc - does that mean it's an OS? No.

An OS interacts directly with the underlying hardware - this is an application running atop an OS (Ubuntu to be specific.) It won't boot up any quicker than Ubuntu will, so why not just use Ubuntu with Firefox?

Sorry Google, you've not impressed me yet, FAIL.

3. Martin 47
    Boffin

ah just what I need

a google 'all your data belongs to us' OS? but hey if it persuades people to move to ubuntu its not all bad

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wake me up...

when google makes breakfast...

5. gautam
    Paris Hilton

About time

Someone lights M$ balls on fire!

Paris, cos she's always on fire.

6. DZ-Jay

Re: Ubuntu with 1 app

@Chris Jackson 1:

It's not really "pretty clear" that ChromeOS is a run-of-the-mill Ubuntu with Chrome installed. Those screenshots were taken by someone who built it on top of his Ubuntu installation. It could be that the test build release last month was nothing but the application/user layer, not the entire distro. It could be a rebranded Ubuntu, we just can't tell yet.

As for the rest of your comment: Wow. Just... wow. Are you sure you're posting in the right place? Check out the address bar, this is not Slashdot.

-dZ.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Ok d'ok

1 - point about OS is a good one.

Is it an OS or is it a UI/GUI sitting on top of an OS?

Maybe it does need IEEE to clarify (OS or a skin that sits on an OS?)

2 - Adobe? Doing hardware?

"Hardware partners on the project include Acer, Adobe, ASUS,... "

8. Grease Monkey Silver badge

OS?

Those people questioning whether it's an OS are missing the point somewhat. This is a platform for netbooks, IOW it is not a full blown PC OS, as in a competitor to Windows or linux distros like Ubuntu. Google aren't selling it a full blown OS so all that silly is it/isn't it an OS debating is totally pointless.

9. KenBW2
    Megaphone

OS Debate

Linux = a kernel

Ubuntu - ships Linux, so is an OS

Fedora - ships Linux, so is an OS

Chrome OS = ships Linux, so is an OS

Chrome OS is no different except the fact that it has less/different parts between the kernel and the browser. It still runs in its own right, so it's an OS

10. Robert Hill
    Coat

So Chrome is...

an up-to-date Linux kernel with a Google-branded browser...

And, oh YEAH, all the hooks to pipe all of your personal data (probably including web browsing, documents stored and "indexed for you" on your PC, use of Google Maps (and historical trend analysis of said), et al) back to the Google information factory, where it will be used to further extend Google's dominance in the on-line ad space (web and mobile now!) - and in congruence with Google Maps into meatspace advertising market as well.

It's a brilliant plan, really. As someone that used to work for a network operator, I can tell you they are absolutely jealous of Google's reach into personal data - and Android/Chrome just cement it. I thought that having access on all mobile calls for 1/3 of the UK's population for analysis of customer behavior was pretty cool, but Google just eclipse that by miles.

But, of course, it can't be a platform for evil now, can it?

Mine's the one with the Ubuntu-branded kernel, because as demigod-like Shuttleworth may try to be, at least he doesn't collect all my personal data...nor does he want to. And there's always Debian to fall back on should UbuntuOne change that...

11. Code Monkey

Netbooks without Windows tax again

Ignoring the thrilling debate about what is/isn't an OS, this is good news as it should see a return to netbooks shipping without Windows. Which is nice.

12. Chris Jackson 1
    WTF?

Likely ubuntu

@DZ-Ray:

It *is* pretty likely that it's Ubuntu, or at the very least Debian based... Because the early builds that were available to download from google were .debs.

Google Chrome+Google Docs = free

Microsoft Windows+Office = ££££

Don't get me wrong, Google is as bad as Microsoft with their world-domination plans, it's just that most people haven't recognised it yet.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like