back to article Sophisticated parcel mule scam unpicked

Details of a sophisticated re-shipping scam that tricked US residents into working as freight-forwarding middlemen for eastern European crooks, have been exposed by security researchers at RSA. The web-based fraudulent operation received applications from around 1,900 people, hiring 33 marks to take delivery of high-value …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whatever happened...

...to the supposed rule that retailers will only ship to the address at which the credit card is registered?

If they go round shipping stuff to other addresses I hope they end up out of pocket.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

drinking already?

I'm sure this sentence: "The site that was central to the scheme has been taken online." is supposed to read "The site that was central to the scheme has been taken offline."

Wouldn't it have been better, but not necessarily legal, to intercept a shipment, substitue 3kilos of C4 for a PS3, and let the shipment continue on to its destination. On second thought, a really sophisticated GPS unit would probably be a better solution.

3. Robert Ramsay
    Joke

Their mistake

They never would have got caught if they'd used Macs instead of Microsoft Office...

4. The First Dave

untitled

So how many of the mules have been arrested?

5. Jerome 0
    WTF?

Sophisticated?

I don't get it. Surely it would be immediately obvious to the "middle men" that this was a scam, at which point they just keep the goods in question and do a runner. This passes for a "sophisticated" scam? I need to get into the scamming game, if it's that easy to make money.

6. EJ
    Pint

No innocent victims amongst the mules

I saw those email pitches in my own inbox, and it was quite evident they were not legitimate. It did not take much intelligence to surmise it was a criminal operation. These mules need to be handed the appropriate punishments.

7. Paul 4

RE:Whatever happened...

There never was that rule, just some companys insist on it, others don't. They consider if it is worth the risk to them or not. They will have ended up out of pocket most of the time, as the card company will claw the money back from them (Unless the card holder was at fault).

8. Anonymous John

Re No innocent victims amongst the mules

and re Sophisticated?

If a scammer can convince someone they are a Nigerian banker who needs help shifting the contents of an abandoned bank account out of the country, he can also convince him that he has a legitimate job reshipping good, check printing, etc.

Not greedy, but in need of employment and unaware of this particular scam.

9. Frank Fisher
    Grenade

Re:Not greedy, but in need of employment and unaware of this particular scam.

Pah - eagerly gullible because they think there's a buck in it. You cannot con an honest man. These people know full well that any deal which appears too good to be true *is* too good to be true *and* straight. So far as I can see they are complicit in the fraud.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like