back to article Verizon launches US appeals court at Google-backed wireless plan

Much to Google's chagrin, Verizon has asked a federal court to shoot down new rules that would allow consumers to attach any device and any application to a prime portion of the U.S. wireless spectrum. Earlier this week, the mega-telco filed a "petition for review" with the U.S. Court of Appeals, insisting it re-jigger Federal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Daniele

Verizon being absurd

I need to take a side on this and I support Google completely .... Everyday i find myself pondering more and more 'WHAT IS HAPPENEING TO THE AMERICAN DREAM" , Daniele

2. Chris

Public vs private interest

While I'm against Google in general, I also have to side with them on this one. A data carrier should, in my eyes, not be able to restrict customers to what type of devices they can attach to that carrier signal (so long as the device does not cause problems for the carrier or other devices). It's only sending and receiving data, so who cares what kind of device it is? But the Big Three (Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint) want to keep a stranglehold on anything communication-based. And the courts have let them do just that, by allowing them to merge and merge and merge, soon to become "Ma Bell" again. Innovation of public utilities is in the public interest. Restriction of public utilities is in the private interest of the companies supplying those utilities, and against the public interest.

As to "What is happening to the American dream?" It's dead. It's been killed through decades of corporate and political war against the people. "The American Dream" has been replaced with "Whoever dies with the most toys wins". Sad, but true. Due to corporate and political greed, not many people can afford to even dream about "The American Dream" anymore.

3. Brett Brennan

Precedent is already there...

There is already a precedent for connecting any device to wireless spectrum so long as it complies technically with the rules covering the spectrum use: the ITU defines parts of the radio spectrum for use by Amateur Radio, and those spectrum slots are further defined for specific types of modulation, bandwidth and license. This "regulation" has been in effect for nearly 100 years and has had very few real issues. New technology has caused the national and international regulatory groups to modify the definitions, and auction of the local parts of the spectrum have removed or moved parts of the bandwidth, but overall the "unrestricted" use of this spectrum has worked even better than the regulated spectrum, as the Amateur Radio Community tends to police its own as well or better than the FCC.

So I expect that this argument alone will suffice to get Verizon's case heard and rejected quickly - the only caveat being how the enforcement of non-compliance will be handled. The only leg Verizon can stand on would be to argue that it requires "ownership" to keep order in the spectrum space, for what it's worth.

4. david

down with Verizon

i've been a cell customer to verizon for over 3 years now, while the service has been great, i truly hate the restrictions verizon places on it's customers and the absurd ways users have to use their vCast service to get ringtones, news, etc. Going forward with technology, they currently lock all their phones, yes you can get unlock codes but it's a pain in the ass, their stores are unfriendly, and the phones offered are limited. When i look at the european and asian markets for cell use, then look at ours it's depressing.

I'm estatic that Google is pushing hard and i hope they do win substantial bandwidth in this auction, i like the fact that they are a giant but seem to fight for the little guy, to help balance out the inequalitiies in this sector. I am already planning on switching carriers when my Verizon contract is up in a year, as are over a dozen of my friends all to use Apple's iPhone, hopefully by that time they are 3g equipped. But the idea of Google buying a chunk and selling to small carriers would force the big four to compete again and offer consumers the best rates, more phones and plans. Its absurd that i cant download skype to my cell phone, or another application of my choosing and use the phone how the phone was made, rather than Verizon telling me what i can and can't do. They are a greedy, whining company, and I dislike them more and more everyday.

5. Chad H.

Verizons argument is absurd

If the government not allowing a network to restrict devices is a breach of the companies freedom of speech, how is a network restricting devices not a breach of the customers freedom of speech?

6. Brian K. Trotter

Where's the Sherman Anti Trust Act When you need it?

Verizon is a monstrous conglomerate of telecommunications companies that like companies like Comcast and AT&T have been taking proactive steps to eliminate competition and make themselves "the only game in town". This is disastrous for consumers.

The very fact that the 700 spectrum will be offered as a single bid to the highest bidder in the first place virtually ensures that the consumer will be hit right in the pocketbook. Without the clause to allow open access, Verizon's slogan would change from "Can you hear me now" to "Cough Please"

7. Disco-Legend-Zeke

make 700 MHZ PUBLIC ACCESS

with modern MIMO technology, and strict part 15 regulation. EVERYBODY can use 700 mhz spectrum without interference.

in fact, cooperative distribution with geographic (GPS) routing can provide gigabit bandwidth to every node.

it not free, it's USER OWNED.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@david

You complain about not being able to install apps, yet want to buy an iPhone? Without jailbreaking the iPhone, you can't really install apps on it, now can you?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like