back to article Amazon uncorks Kindle for PC

Amazon's Kindle for PC app is now available to world+dog. The über etailer first unveiled the app last month, at Microsoft's Windows 7 launch in New York City, and now you can actually download the thing. Much like Amazon's Kindle app for the iPhone, the new Windows app replicates the software built into Amazon's physical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Spanners Silver badge
    FAIL

The link does not work

I have also tried searching on the .com and the .co.uk sites and find nothing. Have they been overwhelmed by a surprising (to them only) amount of people who have laptops and don't want yet another device but still fancy having an ebook reader?

Or was The Reg a bit premature?

2. Spanners Silver badge
    Alien

Even bigger epic fail!

Out of curiosity, I opened up the same page in Internet Explorer and was offered the file!

So they have no interest in doing business with people with Firefox. What do they do that for? I have bought things from them before - always with FF. Perhaps other people would like to investigate further?

3. Tom 35
    FAIL

We're sorry. Kindle for PC is not currently available in Canada.

Thanks for nothing.

4. aaaa

Correction to article

Cade wrote:

You can download etitles even if you don't own the physical device.

Correction:

Books available for reading on Amazon Kindle can also be read on Kindle for PC unless otherwise noted on the product detail page. ... Periodicals such as newspapers, magazines, and blogs, and personal documents cannot be viewed on Kindle for PC.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200395750#read

These same restrictions also apply to Kindle for iPhone. In other words - you need Kindle if you want all the etitles.

5. Diogenes
    Boffin

@spanners

Noscript ? Adblock ? flashblock ?

look at the page the page source - it reveals all

6. Simon Neill

Hrm...

@Spanners

Worked first time in FF for me, must be you.

there is one stupid bit though, after installing and tying it to my amazon account I clicked "shop for books" and it took me to the US site not the UK site. Hrm. Also, no free books unlike the actual kindle.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Simon Neill

I also managed to install fine on FF first time, even with adblock and noscript.

The reason that you are taken to the US site for your books is that the UK site does not sell eBooks, even if you have an international Kindle. Those lucky people that have one buy the device and every book or newspaper from the US website. I can see the credit card companies licking their lips as they think of all the currency exchange fees they will collect.

As for the free books, I managed to get one on my PC. Finding them is tricky - for some odd reason Amazon keep showing the ones you need to pay for...

I found a list of them by using the listmania feature.

An interesting point to note is that even if the item is free, you still need to enter credit card details to get the delivery. I used a fake card number (which is designed for testing card processing systems) and got the book. Although it did tell me the card had failed, which suggests they do run the card, even if they do not take any money.

On the point of not being able to get the choice of all the books in the UK, I suggest you just either register a US amazon account and/or change the option in the software for what country you are in. I don't think you can do this with a Kindle as they know which phone network you are connecting on.

The software is not bad, but does not appear to open any files. The only books it supports are the ones you download from Amazon. It also has the notes and annotations option, but as read only. So if you find an error while you check a note you added on the kindle, you can't correct it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like