back to article Sun files $120m loss on the hush

It was a week later than El Reg expected, but the behavior was the same. After the stock market closed on Friday and everyone was heading home for the weekend, server and operating system maker Sun Microsystems snuck out its financial results for the first quarter of fiscal 2010. Revenues fell 25 per cent to $2.24bn. Sale have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Randall Shimizu
    FAIL

Oracle will divest Sun of it's hardware division

Now that the EU has rejected the merger. Oracle has no choice but to sell off the hardware division.

2. Slimster
    FAIL

Failed CEO selection = ruined business

This company has the best technology, and often the best products. Its employees leave and seem to do just fine building other companies such as Google, VMWare. So why does Sun not 'work'?

Any Sun customer knows the answer. Larry needs to find the senior management who has been there for 5+ years, take it out back and do the right thing. It is soul destroying seeing what the so called Exec VPs and other senior management are doing to this company. This has been going on for the past few years and now they've either got a golden parachute lined up, or they are so busy cosying up to Oracle their noses are permanently brown. If they were any good they'd have seen the light and left already.

Even after reading the recent artciles I'm sure they still don't get it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

This Sun / Oracle thing is a soap opera

Larry might leave Sun at the alter as Sun is in a death spiral of self destruction. Certainly Oracle is not going to pay the April price as the value has declined and there is no penalty for Oracle to rescind its offer. Expect the offer to go down $1B if they cannot get MySQL

SPARC64 is dead. Fujitsu just has two more very small speed bumps and will not be making the Venus chip for commercial servers. This reminds me of when Sun canceled US-V.

Obviously the only reason Larry likes SPARC T2+ is because it has eight low performance cores which require $750K just for the Oracle EE license on a four chip box.

If you work for Sun you should be applying to IBM.

ibm.com/jobs

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Not that bad.

TBH, I thought it would be worse! Still, I can't see how Larry can make his $1.2bn without selling off chunks of the bizz or massively pushing up licences (which would probably drive down long term revenue down rather than up).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Read the paperwork, guys!

@Randall Shimizu: Now that the EU has rejected the merger

It's done no such thing, it's said that it has real concerns and now wants real information, and probably concessions. Compromise time, Larry...

@Anonymous Coward 18:17 GMT: there is no penalty for Oracle to rescind its offer.

You're kidding, right? Big penalties, be sure of it.

Still, the article is right. If ponytail had laid-off more people at the start, as Wall Street told him to, instead of his head-in-the clouds "opensoure everything, we'll make money by magic" lunacy, Sun would still be independent. Smaller, maybe, but on the way back up. I *really* hope that the shareholders (I'm still one) get to hammer him on 12/17.

All we can hope for now is that when Oracle does take over, the top two or three layers of management get skimmed & dumped.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Randall Shimizu

If the EU rejected the merger then how could Oracle sell off the hardware ?

Try thinking before posting - it often helps.

8. Kebabbert

Isnt it funny

how bad everyone wants the "inferior" SUN tech and SUN people? Linux is desperate to get ZFS. IBM copies DTrace with its ProbeVue. The Niagara with it's "slow" cores, crush the IBM Power6+ which is three times higher clocked. And the IBM Mainframe CPUs are really dog slow, as 1 MIPS == 4x86 MHz according to Linux/Mainframe experts. I expect a high clocked Nehalem beat the shit out of a IBM Mainframe CPU in terms of processing power. But the Nehalem is like 1000USD vs 10.000USD(?) IBM Mainframe CPU, or is the IBM Mainframe CPU more like 100.000USD? And for the IBM Power570 servers, one SUN T5440 is three times as fast as one P570 in Siebel v8. But the P570 costs 413.000USD vs T5440 which costs 76.000USD.

I dont get it, why do people pay loads of money for over priced slow IBM hardware? Ok if you got good performance, but no, youre not.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@Kebbie

Kebbie, we are just tired of Sun fanboi speech.

Jeez, get your Siebel benchmark and save it for yourself.

Nobody wants to know how Siebel runs fast on these T2.

Compare SAPs, TPC and other metrics as well, stop being so paranoid on this Siebel metric.

And, it's not too late for you. Go ibm.com/jobs

Cheers!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Matty

Hey Ninja Matty, are you back from shadows???

Nice to hear from you...

During your absence, we heard that you were invite to work on HP-CDS.

Nice huh... Your management at HP must be soooo excited as you are...

Cheers!!!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Matt's a sore looser

Hey Matt, you still working @ HP? Guess you weren't part of the syndicate that won £45m then...

12. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Troll

RE: @Matty

"Hey Ninja Matty, are you back from shadows???...." The deepest, darkest shadows of a datacenter, rolling out a project. Apologies if you missed me, but I do actually do some work every now and again.

"....Nice to hear from you..." Oh dear, I fear my sarcasm is rubbing off on you. I suggest you see a doctor and have it removed immediately, as sarcasm without true wit to balance it is simply bitterness. And we really wouldn't want you gettng all bitter now, would we?

"....During your absence, we heard that you were invite to work on HP-CDS....." Strange, but I really don't recall that ever cropping up in conversation. May I ask whom is passing round that amusing notion? As to hp CDS, I'm not quite sure they'd appreciate my work ethic ("your mess, you clean it up") nor my management negotiating skills ("I'll kiss your arse when you get transplanted into Jessica Alba's body"). No, I think it's quite safe to say that hp CDS are not going to be employing me anytime soon!

".....Nice huh... Your management at HP must be soooo excited as you are..." Well, actually I'm more confused as to where you get these strange notions from, is it the voices in your head?

Anyway, on with the Sun-bashing! Has anyone else noticed that Sun's piggybank is shrinking fast? At the start of this year it was supposed to be $4bn, now it's down below $2.4bn. Has McNeedy been raiding the petty cash to try and make his figures look better? If Sun is dropping at $1.6bn in less than a year, that gives Larry a maximum of eighteen months to get everything tied up and ship-shape, otherwise the Sun will not have just set, it will have gone past nova to blackhole!

13. Billl
    Happy

RE: @Matty #

"...as sarcasm without true wit to balance it is simply bitterness. "

I've been trying to think of the perfect adjective for you, and it is bitter.. Thank you Matt. You have actually made a contribution instead of just throwing around your bitter opinions. I won't even comment on your "true wit" comment... N00b.

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@ Matt Bryant

"Oh dear, I fear my sarcasm is rubbing off on you. I suggest you see a doctor and have it removed immediately, as sarcasm without true wit to balance it is simply bitterness. And we really wouldn't want you gettng all bitter now, would we?"

Oh the irony.

15. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: RE: @Matty & RE: @ Matt Bryant

RE: Billl

"....I've been trying to think of the perfect adjective for you, and it is bitter....." Well, carry on thinking! Bitter I am not. After all, I predicted the Sunset, carefully steered my company's strategy away from SPARC despite the very bleating bleating of the Sunshiners, and I'm now living the fun of having been proven very right. No, think more smug, that would be a lot closer. For bitter I suggest you look in the mirror.

RE: AC

"....Oh the irony." Come now, we know Sunshiners just don't do humour, but if you're going to survive long outside the rapidly sinking Sun, you're going to have to try harder than that.

Very telling that the Sunshiners don't want to consider the continuing dive in the piggybank value. Larry better get a move on finding the right MEPs to bribe or there will be nothing left of Sun to acquire!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like