back to article Brown's Building Britain website fail

Gordon Brown is learning, once again, that it takes more than sprinkling some Web2.0 social networking nonsense around to create a political message. The "Building Britain's Future" website launched in June with modest ambitions. It aimed to be: "the Government’s plan to work with the British people to shape our economic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RichyS
    Stop

amanfromMars

I thought amanfromMars already _did_ write the Labour manifesto...

2. NB
    Troll

now there's an idea

By all means please get amanfrommars to write their manifesto, they might finally stick to their promises instead of screwing us at every turn :)

3. James 5
    Happy

No! No! No!

From your article:

Bebo's Big Think competition to: "come up with a concrete concept to crack climate change, clamp down on crime and create career opportunities?"

Seems they are all at "C".

The No No No is because no doubt they'll suddenly discover that they've answered their own question - just concrete over the entire planet - thick layer - gets rid of any worries about climate change, crime and career opportunities in a oner! And should keep the "geo-engineering" prats happy until their offices become flooded with quick setting concrete!

4. g e

ZZZzzz...

Climate change: It's a fiction. Save the money. All part of a natural cycle which mankind isn't contributing (significantly) to.

Crime: National Service or "It's the army for you me bucko" for long-term non-disabled unemployed. Plus bring back the stocks (honestly would YOU reoffend after a spell in the stocks??)

Careers: I can think of one job opening Gordon Brown should create TODAY... Prime Minister.

Job's a goodun.

</rant>

5. Ray0x6

Sounds like...

"come up with a concrete concept to crack climate change, clamp down on crime and create career opportunities?"

Fantastic alliteration. Worthy of Olly from The Thick of It. Self serving twats.

6. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

Prize please

"come up with a concrete concept to crack climate change, clamp down on crime and create career opportunities?"

A concrete concept to clamp down on crime and create career opportunities has already been implemented by Sir Robert Peel. It's still called The Police Force as far as I am aware.

And if more people would deny climate change then that too would have been cracked.

Thing is.. there is no way I'd post on Bebo, that's the first place the aforementioned Police Force go to find paedophiles.

7. Eddie Edwards
    Megaphone

Oh that's too easy

How about hunting down and burning everyone over the age of 20 who isn't in gainful full-time employment?

Bingo - cheap carbon-neutral fuel, no more crime (except white-collar crime, which doesn't count), and thousands of new career opportunities for hunters.

I can't think of a possible downside.

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Busman's Holidays ..... and Sleeping with Enemy. Now there's a Splendid Novelty

"I thought amanfromMars already _did_ write the Labour manifesto..." ... By RichyS Posted Tuesday 10th November 2009 10:41 GMT

By Jove, RichyS, that is a slur too far, Sir. I demand a Gentleman's Satisfaction. Twelve paces and Pistols at Dawn, if you will. :-) Err ...... does it pay well, ... writing manifestos, and is the secret in ensuring that Policies and Promises Provide and Enable an Engaging Constructive Competitive Opposition ... for the Benefit of Alternative Sight and Complementary Sees ...... Quality in Depth .

9. jackharrer

Re: RichyS

If amanfromMars wrote their manifesto it would be very logical, in his twisted way. But it's not logical in any way, so it couldn't be him. Sadly ;)

amanfromMars for PM! ;)

10. ForthIsNotDead
    Big Brother

"Big Think"

How Orwellian.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

my concept to crack climate change, clamp down on crime and create career opportunities

Put petty criminals with community service orders to work on giant treadmills, turning turbines to generate clean electricity. Pay the unemployed to help and all three problems are solved. The Daily Mail readers would be allowed to throw their rubbish at them instead of putting it out for composting/recycling, and that problem's solved too.

What do I win?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

prize is...

"come up with a concrete concept to crack climate change, clamp down on crime and create career opportunities"... that sounds to me like the job description of government so i believe the prize is their jobs and the total salaries all of them claim (so about 32 million wasn't it?).

13. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

We should be told..

..how secure in this site? Could someone estimate its security- maybe as a percentage?

14. Nomen Publicus
    FAIL

Still waiting

Did the MyLifeMyID report ever get published?

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Quick, everyone..

..post comments here. Lets have more comments on El regs story about this website than on the website itself.

I dont actually need to bother going and having a look at this site do i? it is a bag of shit isnt it?

16. Evil_Trev
    Go

Dear Mr Brown,

Re your statement : "the Government’s plan to work with the British people" . This is just to inform you that we, the British people, have a plan, your not in it.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shape our low carbon housing

Consumer rights: you need more rights! So we're banning stuff like credit card cheques!

On crime: we need to work together, police and public, so we're going to stop and search more of you! Even kids! More police to arrest you when you break the law, and more fake police to fake arrest you when you break fake laws!

Education: to help mums and dads raise their kids, we have more childcare centres. But you can't go inside without a criminal background check, because you might be a pedo. Just trust us with your kids, because we don't trust you with your kids!

etc. etc.

Me thinks their aspirational statements, like 'community' and 'family' and 'cooperation' are at odds with their actions, and their CCTVs and their removal of rights. How about an election Mr Brown, if there's a majority that you claim to represent, then lets have an election and we'll see.

18. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

@g e - the "Denier"

I believe that is exactly the problem with the fact-based opposition to "Global Warming" or "Global Climate Change" -- it lacks a catchy and easy-to-say moniker.

The slide from Global Warming to Global Climate Change came about as the "warming" part of the issue was debunked, and that the Earth is in a period of average cooling and not average warming. But any time there are hot-spots around, the Global Nutcases start predicting the end of the world.

So now we have Global Climate Change which, at face value, is not an unreasonable claim, since the climate is dynamic, as we learned in elementary. You know, about the Sahara once being lush and fertile, and the African step which goes all summer dry as hell until the rains come, but not after many animals have died of thirst and hunger. Alas, none of this apparently happened before the advent of Human kind.

If you oppose this wild-eyed save-the-polar-bear-from-going-extinct-even-though-their-numbers-have-grown-do-you-not-believe-polar-bears-are-endangered perspective you are a "denier." Which is eponymous of being a Holocaust Denier.

What the "deniers" need is a name for the facts, and a name to call the fact-deniers. I have struggled with this one, but have though along the lines of "Global Climate Stability" and "Stability Deniers," or "Natural Climate Dynamics" and "Dynamic Deniers," or "Man-Irrelevant Climate Cycle" and "Cyclic Deniers." I think you get the idea.

Paris, man-irrelevant.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Cabinet Office spokesman says

On 29 June, the Prime Minister launched Building Britain's Future, which sets out the Government's vision for bringing the country through economic recovery while renewing democracy, modernising national infrastructure and improving schools, hospitals and policing. He made it clear that the Government would work with the public to bring about a fairer, stronger and more prosperous society.

It would be a mistake to judge the success of this wide-ranging combination of Government action and public engagement by the number of comments on a single website.

The Government has consulted on this agenda in a number of ways. There have been twenty events up and down the country where ministers have met directly with the public to talk about the Government's plans, reaching around a thousand people in face to face meetings. The various strands of Building Britain's Future have brought about their own debate and each Bill in the Queen's Speech goes through its own consultation process.

There has also been a focus on engaging young people, including the Big Think project, instigated by the Government and run in partnership with Bebo, a popular social network with over 8 million unique visitors in the UK. Since Bebo’s Big Think was launched in July 2009 it has offered young people an independent youth-led online forum to discuss their views on the future of Britain as part of the Building Britain's Future conversation. Bebo's Big Think has been viewed more than 150,000 times and there have been more than 20,000 comments and poll engagements around key BBF themes.

20. David Edwards
    Thumb Up

@ Alan W...

How about calling it the "God Complex" this is the state that Human kind sees it self in the position of God, being the only factor on the earth that influences what lives or dies? The recent comment (too lazy to find a link) about the efforts to save the Giant Panda, despite it being "an evolutionary failure", are quite good illustrative points.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Apprentice

Is everyone who played in The Apprentice now working for the UK gov't?? God, we really are doomed.

22. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

@David Edwards

I do not think that would work. If you then called someone a "God Denier" or "God Skeptic," it would give most of them too much satisfaction. But, yes, I agree that human arrogance has stepped out of bounds to think that we and we alone can effect the environment and climate of an entire planet, in the course of only a hundred years, no less!

Indeed.

Paris, indeed a denier skeptic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like