back to article BT call centre staff snaffle £45m lottery win

A syndicate of seven or eight BT call centre staff are celebrating a massive Euromillions lottery win today. The workers, from BT's Royal House call centre in Liverpool, did not realise they'd won until they got into work this morning. They share a £45m win - giving each person a win of about £5.5m. Two different tickets won …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan 10
    Thumb Up

Ooh, the lucky blighters...

I'll bet that brightened up their morning - and probably made others around them even more miserable.

I'd hate to be the inevitable individual who declined from joining this syndicate back when they started it - "No thanks, I can't be bothered finding a quid a week..."

I can't complain, since I never bother playing.

2. irish donkey
    Black Helicopters

I arrived for work late this morning

Everybody through it was me..

sob...

3. neb
    Happy

lucky...

...bastids!

4. spegru
    Go

If you are into Call Centre Employment

Now is probably a good time to call!

5. Tzael

Nice one!

Haha you just know someone's going to take the opportunity to tell BT what to do with their job!

6. Antony 2
    Pint

I used to work....

Up until about two years ago I used to work at the Virgin Media office at the Albert Dock in Liverpool.

A lot of my friends from there left around the same time I did, most went to work for BT (guess which office).

I've just text all my friends from VM who are now at BT, to see if any won the money.

7. Stephen Gray
    Unhappy

Not BT'ers

According to the news it's a team of HP managers on secondment

8. Dale Morgan
    Thumb Up

a dream come true

thats great news for them, i'd love to have seen a manager try telling them to get to work while their screaming and laughing

9. Colin 21
    IT Angle

Who do they work for?

The bbc state that "The syndicate is a group of IT workers who are employed by Hewlett Packard. "

So which is it, BT or HP?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Nice!

Strange, the Beeb say the syndicate was a group of HP workers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8351286.stm). Perhaps on a contract to BT?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Hope BT had syndicate insurance...

Good on them. Hope they spend it wisely.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

BT ? HP ?

The BBC News are saying that it's workers at HP:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8351286.stm

Maybe something to do with:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/12/hp_bt_tieup/ perhaps?

Either way, I thought they'd both, in line with the company's policy of continuous product and service improvement, offshored their call centres.

Congratulations to the winners anyway.

13. Dale 3

I'm also a winner

I've been winning lotteries several times a week for the last couple of years. It happens so frequently now I don't even bother entering any more, and still I win.

14. Chris Miller
    Thumb Up

BT or HP?

The Beeb are reporting that they work for HP, not BT. Outsourced?

Whichever, best of luck to them all - begging letters arriving in 3, 2, 1, ...

15. Seamaster
    Thumb Up

Good luck to them!

Great to read this.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

service improvement?

Quote : Another worker told the local paper that winners had already been whisked away by Camelot - presumably to stop BT managers being told what to do with their jobs...

I suppose that's perferbale to them telling their "customers" where to stick their lousy BT problems.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

just imagine the call conversations...

Caller: Can you help me with installing the BT Broadband thingy you sent please?

Helpline: "I've just won the lottery!! "

Caller " ...little green light just keeps blinking... "

Helpline "£5.5m !! Think of what I can do with that"

...etc and downhill from there....

18. Cliff

A syndicate of seven or eight...

"A syndicate of seven or eight BT call centre staff are celebrating a massive Euromillions lottery win today."

Holy shit, I bet that 8th member who was late with his £1.50 whilst on holiday is panicking right now...

19. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@Antony 2

Yes, I'm sure you're the only person who's just texted them. Look around you, there's a few thousand other vultures with you.

20. James 55
    Alert

The BBC

Says they were from HP. And the other ticket was owned by a couple from Newport.

21. TS

No need to burn bridges...

Might as well be nice on the way out... you might need the job back after wasting all the money living the high life for a few months and then finding yourself with no money and $20K/month mortgage(s), $5K/month car payment(s), and friends that have suddenly disappeared into the woodwork from whence they came.

22. Pink Duck
    Unhappy

Spare a thought...

...for the 637 million whose ticket returned nothing more than a £1.50 loss

23. Number6

Joining a Syndicate

The main reason for joining the works lottery syndicate is so that you're not the only bugger left at the place on Monday morning. A previous boss told me that he'd only joined for basically that reason, that he didn't want to have to pick up the pieces after everyone else had quit.

Sadly, we're all still working and waiting.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

What are the chances

An actual call centre based in the UK!!

25. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

HP

HP is BT's official IT support contractor, I should know as I also work for HP within BT doing IT support.

26. Alex 3
    Megaphone

And....

> So which is it, BT or HP?

Yes - and where exactly do they live?

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it's HP....

How will they deliver the winnings? Each tenner on its own pallet?

28. John70
    WTF?

Call Centre

There is a call centre in the UK?

29. Bassey
    Thumb Up

Re: Anonymous Coward @ 23:49

Comedy gold, my friend. Comedy gold :)

30. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

HP / EDS

BT probably won't even notice they have gone they are that useful ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like