back to article WTO could be used to abolish censorship say researchers

The World Trade Organisation has raised the delicious possibility of using its regulations to smite companies that censor their citizens' access to the internet - before admitting that this approach is unlikely to get very far. A paper produced by the European Centre for International Political Economy observes that the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

The ultimate privatisation?

> companies that censor their citizens' access to the internet

And you thought your employer only owned your soul?

2. SonOfAGhost

Withdrawl

How would getting China out of the WTO be bad?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

I can have my freedom of speech as long as I sell it?

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Legally dubious

This report is ridiculous. The WTO allows countries to ban things they don't like, as long as they apply the same rule to imports as to home-grown products and services. This is why e.g. the USA can ban gambling (but it can't ban foreign internet gambling while allowing home-grown gambling) and Arab countries can ban alcohol. Therefore, the WTO only becomes an issue of China is banning people from reading foreign sites about Tiananmen square but is happy to allow Chinese websites to report the atrocities, and I really don't see that happening. Governments are far more likely to censor domestic content than foreign imports, and there's nothing the WTO can do about that.

5. Eduard Coli
    Thumb Down

WTO cares?

The WTO is there to bash the US and syphon employment from the west to captive labour in the east. Perhaps even to drop kick any kind of pollution control.

The WTO would never do anything like being moral and actually use its power in this way.

6. Goat Jam
    Big Brother

Selective Application

Yes, use it to bludgeon China by all means. Just ensure you turn the other cheek when the "nice countries" in the West implement their increasingly draconian filtering schemes though.

It's all for the sake of the chillren of course.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like