back to article US start-up punts family friendly netbook appliance

It's not a tablet, it's something new, claims manufactuer Litl, developer of the Webbook, a 12in machine designed to be used not only like a laptop but also be mounted on its side like a touch-operated all-on-one desktop. Litl Webbook Lilt's Webbook: 12in cloud appliance for all the family? OK, so it's essentially a laptop …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I like the look of this....

...but don't like the idea of it updating from a 3rd party that may go bumpf in 12 months.

If it can be done in a manner that doesn't rely on them, i'd be interested!

2. Charles 5

At least its different

Its not much different than standard netbooks - but kudo's for attempting something different

3. Toastan Buttar
    Thumb Up

Interesting

This looks like a genuinely innovative product. I'll be watching its uptake with interest.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

more confusion for all!

Its not a netbook or a laptop....

This only benefits the marketing dept of course, anyone who buys one thinks they are going to get one or the other.

5. kpharck
    Coat

Looks similar to AI's touchbook

The keyboard of touchbook is optional and detachable, and the thing is light enough to stick to fridge with magnets (included).

6. Julian Smart

Cool

Very nice to see a quite different take on the netbook concept. However, I'm not sure the easel mode is very practical - one of the good things about a notebook screen is its adjustability, and in easel mode, you can't make the screen vertical, or it would fall over. OTOH you can still adjust it in normal mode. A touch screen would have been nice - or maybe it's not stable enough for poking at it in easel configuration? Still, the remote, wheel, viewing angle, synchronisation, UI, HDMI port etc. really sound like fairly radical steps towards consumer-friendliness, although seemingly at the expense of custom apps. It will be interesting to see how it fares, and whether they'll come out with an SDK...

7. jubtastic1

Errata

"designed to be used not only like a laptop but also be mounted on its side like a touch-operated all-on-one desktop."

unbelievably it hasn't actually got a touch-screen, so I'd say:

"designed to be used not only like a laptop but also be mounted on its side like a digital photo frame" would be more accurate.

8. Greg 35

How good is the browser?

...would it be happy with iplayer? What kind of browser is it?

9. Efros
    Thumb Down

Bloody expensive

You better be offering more than that for the sort of money I would spend on a relatively decent laptop. Or half a macbook, oh wait I said decent didn't I!

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    FAIL

Not for me

Unspecified OS + Remote uncontrolled single source updates.

You gotta be 'avin' a larf mate.

This topic is closed for new posts.