back to article The x-texting Metrotextual comes out of the closet

It's time for the chaps out there who commonly end their text messages to chums with an affectionate "x" to come out of the closet - because demonstrating your "metrotextuality" is apparently nothing to be ashamed of. That's according to T-Mobile, which found that a shocking 22 per cent of blokes "regularly include a kiss on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Benedict

meh

I'm so manly I just cup my mouth and shout in the necessary direction.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    FAIL

More communication is done non-verbally?

Never once written an "x" in an SMS and proud of it!

But what kind of research claims that social media uses non-verbal communication? Is it suddenly full of body language and coded hormones?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

My guess is that the vast majority of men only send their chum an x at the end of the text if they have got into the habit of sending an x on texts to the girlfriend, and accidentally added the same thing to other texts. Sounds very embarrassing to try to explain away!

4. Jimmy Floyd
    Flame

Bullshit

"...22 per cent of blokes..."

Bollocks. Absolute and total bollocks. 22% of blokes in Brighton, maybe. The rest are so used to texting their other half they just forgot NOT to put a 'x' on the end.

And another thing - what sort of man would cheerfully admit to being a "metrotextual" anyway? A poor excuse for a man, that's whom.

Ah, I feel better for a morning rant against pointless, corporate-sponsored, probably-made-up surveys. Time for a nice cup of tea...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

22% ?

Would that be 22% of males out of the percentage of males that fill in surveys?

The same 22% that can also be described as "fruity" and "fashion victims".

Myself, I'd never fill in a survey, I've got better things to do with my time like fighting, drinking, hunting, making wars and shagging women.

Oh, and commenting on El Reg, a truly manly pastime if ever there was one.

6. Bassey
    Flame

Clinical arse-wipe

"the advent of mobile phones ... [means] ... men can more easily share their feelings with others - especially their male friends"

Can someone please point out to this retarded arse-wipe that putting an ASCII character at the end of an electronic message is not, in any way, shape or form, the same thing as sharing ones feelings?

In the global flood I suggest Clinical Physiologists would make excellent floatation devices!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

It's Always an Accident

Are these deliberate? I know that I accidentally send an x here-and-there because I have to put it at the end of texts to my girlfriend. I always send an apology/courtesy text if I do send a rogue x.

8. The BigYin
    Thumb Down

Would piss me off

Even more from from someone I did not know well. Strong (precious?) emotions such as love, hate etc. should be reserved for the situations/people they actually apply to; not just bandied about willy-nilly.

Would you "kiss" them in public? No? Then why kiss them in a text then?

Got nothing to do with being manly or not, it's everything to do with saying what you mean and meaning what you say. Too many people say things they do not mean these days.

If you love someone - tell them. But if you go around telling everyone you love them (unless you're about 5) then it no longer carries any meaning, does it? It's just something you say. A verbal tick with no emotion behind it.

9. Patrick R
    Big Brother

T-Mobile found out ?

How? How does a company "find" that sort of things? Was someone paid for that sort of analysis ? Was a machine programmed to count the "x"s at the end of texts ? Or was an expert reading them all? Is this the pink side of IT ?

10. John Hawkins
    Boffin

And this is the reason why...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090118200636.htm

The younger blokes of today are chemically castrated. Which basically means that us old codgers should be called upon to help with yet another generation of kids.

( Should be a little blue vitamin V pill icon on this one )

11. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

WTF...

...is a "Metrosexual"

Is that something made up from those London lovies that think air kissing, having "man bags" and watching crap like Sex In the City is the way forward.

Me I'd rather punch my mates than send a X to them (well the male ones anyway).

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Geezh, lighten up

Great to see all the "real" men feel the need to rant about this.

It's just a freaking x , maybe you need to come out of your texting closet.

x

13. Jay 2
    Megaphone

Not the done thing

Funnily enough I got a text from my brother with a x on the end yesterday. At first I thought he'd meant to sent it to someone else!

14. gaz 7

Do we know what phones these Metrotextuals use

So I can make sure I don't bloody well buy one.

I'd guess they mostly use iphones etc though (nowt like a bit of stereotyping)

15. Hollerith 1

ah, the sound of knees being jerked across the nation

@22% -- do you want to say 'gay'? Why not say it? Being coy and assuming 'fruity' and 'fashion victims' cover all gay men is, ya know, homophobic.

From the articles: 'collapse in SMS morality' -- why is the idea of a friendly X a 'collapse' of 'morality'? And all those accidental Xs -- geez, get lives.

X seems to have become a friendly 'bye bye' or salute of affection, not unlike a French cheek-kiss given to everyone, close friends or not. You chaps who protest here -- even the French Foreign Legion guys do the cheek-kiss thing, so get over yourselves.

16. My New Handle
    Pint

@John Hawkins

Hear hear. Exactly. Totally agree.

Stick me down for a brace of sprightly young fillies in need of some manly insemination.

17. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Geezh, lighten up

I know, the gay panic in evidence is most amusing.

"So, did you see the game last night? That goalie needs shooting, I almost choked on my raw steak that I had just carved from the side of a rampaging bull with my own hands."

18. peyton?
    Happy

Jamie Oliver effect?

I've noticed he always gives his Eurochums a peck on the cheek before racing away on his little moped, exotic cheese/meet/condiment in hand.

19. CD001

Ms Bee

... and yet curiously, with the football reference there, there's nothing wrong in the heterosexual male mind with leaping into another man's arms and giving him a big sloppy kiss when he manages to kick a ball into a net?

20. Dan 63

I feel left out

I don't have a mobile phone so I couldn't possibly comment.

21. lpopman
    Coat

@Sarah Bee

"So, did you see the game last night?" - Nah, I didn't as it goes....my mate just texted me the results followed by a kiss :)

He must have just been texting his mussus..

22. The BigYin

@Geezh, lighten up

Your prejudices are showing....

23. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Re : Peyton

"before racing away on his little moped, exotic cheese/meet/condiment in hand"

I'm not sure if this is e><treme pron or not. But I'mceratin that you can get fined and 3 points on your license dor doing that. And his wife's going to feel very embarassed too.

X0X0X0X0X0X0X*

*Paris send hugs and kisses

24. Aortic Aneurysm

i have

been known to do it from time to time, no biggy.

25. This post has been deleted by its author

26. qwertyuiop
    FAIL

Why pick on them?

@Bassey

I don't understand the relevance of Physiologists to this article (Physiologist n. One who studies the branch of biology that deals with the internal workings of living things, including functions such as metabolism, respiration, and reproduction, rather than with their shape or structure).

Given your seemingly irrational desire to chuck them in the global flood I suggest you consult a Clinical Psychiatrist or Psychologist.

27. Andy 70
    FAIL

sports

yeah, like football's really manly isn't it.

i resent being implicated in that i have to be interested in a load of group showering, handbag waving, skirt and alice band wearing, premadona little ball chasers in order to be a fully fucktional member of the male side of the spiecies

anyway, no one i know sends an "X" at the end of a text to a mate, unless they are actually physically involved - no matter what set of chromosoms they have.

i call fail on this self publising consumerist "survey". and football.

28. LaeMi Qian

or

are they just suggesting in wife-proof code that they meet up later at the local strip club?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Weird

I experience this from some female friends, even though I rarely do it myself to them, but I have never got one from a male friend, and definitely wouldn't want to!

30. James 55
    Pint

Receiving but not giving

I get them from my house mates but don't send them back. I'm from the country and we do carve steaks from our cows with our bear hands!

31. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

I never end SMS with x

Though I do use

#send

#save

^v

^k

^q

32. Ascylto
    Coat

XXX and James 55

You could always add ...