back to article Opera Mobile sings out new Symbian version

Opera's latest Mobile version is out in beta for Symbian, providing the best mobile browsing experience with an interface borrowed from Opera Mini. Opera Mobile has been starting to look a little tired when compared to its little sibling, Opera Mini, which has been sporting a shiny new interface since September, so the Symbian …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MarkOne

??? Confused

Opera 10 on the desktop already has Turbo. It's already out..

This is the news that might make me make the Nokia S40 to S60 transition. I just need a dependable phone that's as good as the 6300 that runs S60. I was disappointed to see the 6700 still stuck at S40.

2. spencer
    Happy

what about android??!

The current android browser is ok but i would gladly pay cash for a proper mobile version of opera on android.

3. Vince
    Go

Coming Soon as in "Already available"

Turbo already exists on the desktop. And makes a lot of sense when roaming for example using 3G....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: ??? Confused

The N95 8GB can be had for not much cash right now second hand, and likely does most of what you would require. It's significantly better than the original N95, thanks to the massive RAM.

That aside, I find opera mini better than the dedicated opera 10 dedicated symbian application. 9 and 9.5 were horrible to use on the above phone, and opera mini ran better. I generally use opera mini for day to day things, as it's just better in just about every way.

I did try the opera 10 beta that is available on the opera site, but all characters appeared with blocky square characters after a phone reboot, so I uninstalled it. Unless there's some strange reason to go with this, I wouldn't bother trying it again if I were you.

5. MarkOne
    Stop

@Anonymous Coward

I don't want one of the huge ugly N series phones. I want the 6300 form factor and styling with the S60 OS.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bye bye battery

Wow, this browser has annihilated my battery in little over half an hour. Not one to use if you're not tethered to the wallsocket..

7. Steve Evans

@A/C 12:16

Actually the original N95 works perfectly well with later firmware. I have V31 on mine and it's as stable as a rock. I'm always using Opera mini on it. I agree with you it's far better than the dedicated symbian versions!

Pity Orange UK didn't bother approving firmware releases past V12 so if I hadn't used NSS to change the ID code to generic Euro model I would have never known... The wouldn't have been trying to make me upgrade to another phone would they? Hmmmm...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Progress

Opera Mobile 9.5 looks nicer, is more compatible (aka pretends to be IE better!), but is a fair bit slower, than the v8.65 that came with my P1i.

I wonder if v10 will continue that trend?

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Turbo != Mini

Opera Mini and Turbo are quite different things. Mini is server-side rendering of pages, which are then sent to a special client. Turbo is a compressing proxy service.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tittie

I agree the Nokia 6300 is a great phone, however the battery life is questionable. I own both the 6300 and N95 8gb, and can talk for longer on the N95 8GB. That is just mathematics though, the N95 8gb has a 1200mAh battery.

If we are talking about ideal phones, with no respect to the size and weight limitations that obviously exist - which, by the way, is why something the size of a 6300 wont run s60 any time soon - then I'd want a modern updated k800i, thinner, running some super-tweaked version of s60, with the same great battery life and intuitive interface.

Alas, it was the perfect phone a few years ago, but it's now in a drawer. Let's have a moment of silence for the k800i.

11. Chris 211

Its crap, it keeps hanging...

As usual these things are not tested properly, this application hangs on my e71.

12. Dave Jones
    FAIL

@Chris 211

Exactly which part of beta don't you understand ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like