back to article Reg hack pursues Street View spymobile

You know how it is: you pop out in the morning to buy some milk and before you know it you've been recorded for posterity by a prowling spymobile from Google's Street View. Well, that's what happens in the big city, at least, but it's the last thing this Spanish rural hack expected when he nipped to the shops this morning to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Hawkins

Old Hat, Lester!

Iberian Peninsula Reports of the machinations of the Spymobile have been surfacing since August this year.

See this article on my blog about the one I caught early one morning in August in Lagos, Algarve, Portugal.

http://barlaventostravelblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/google-streetview-algarveportugal.html

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If he had nothing to hide...

he had nothing to fear surely?

Isn't that what our benovolent all-seeing overlords tell us....

3. WilfredKnievel

Busy chap

Looks like they've been busy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/6772gcv/map?&fLat=28.1058&fLon=-15.4154&zl=16

4. bluesxman
    Stop

In the interests of safety on the roads...

... I trust that the hack's passenger was taking those pictures (or that the hack was the passenger).

5. PsychicMonkey
    Terminator

so then...

we're watching you , watching them, watching us?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"I Hate Google!"

"Do you Yahoo!?!" ...

What other slogan boards could you set up before they drive pass?

<overtake>

<get out slogan board>

<stand there with thumb up and cheesy smile on face as google drive past>

<overtake>

7. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

How long does it take?

I have been driving past these things regularly (the last one I saw was last week around Breckfield) for over a year now, down picturesque country roads in North Wales (yes, there are some) large council estates in Manchester, on motorways around the north west, in Liverpool and surrounding areas, on the Wirral and even on the street I live on and not once have I been able to find any of the streets on Streetview.

I'm starting to get paranoid and am now getting concerned that they are targeting me specifically?

Can we have a black Opel Astra instead of or as well as the helicopter please?

8. Richard 102

Odd ...

... I'd have thought he'd be driving a brilliant red barchetta from a better, vanished time.

9. Ball boy Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Funny, that

Similar thing happened to me once: I saw that Haines chappie in a pub & tried to take a picture of him. Got nothing: he was clearly doing his best to hide his mug behind a pint glass. ;-)

Even so - not sure I really like the idea of a private company mapping the world + dog and not being accountable to anyone for their actions - or lack thereof (it'll happen one day).

Hasn't the green lobby had a go about the wasted fuel, etc.? Isn't it time someone did?

Paris? Because 'not being accountable to anyone for their actions' could well desc...errm.

10. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

How do I add sighting?

In mid-October, here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=103601503239287784075.0004520bb894b73db51de&ll=49.88543,3.622356&spn=16.025043,17.552847&source=embed

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Someone should...

Someone should slap a GPS tracking unit on these vehicles and upload the results, give them a taste of their own invasion of privacy...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

@bluesxman - In the interests of safety on the roads...

Just wait until the Snaps are up on gmaps then have a look and see!

Feedback Loop Engaged!

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Saw one a year ago but no streetview yet....

Had one go past an intersection I was at, they use green cars here in the Great White North, but we aren't part of the limited release of streetview.

However, I can be seen in the Bing maps bird's eye view, did wonder why the planes kept circling endlessly that summer four years ago.

Hard to chase them in city streets, or planes for that matter, glad to know Lester has the schwartz.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like