back to article Bono serenades fellow fader, Bill Gates

Bill Gates' fortune may have slipped by $18bn in the past year or so, but pop oldster Bono apparently thinks that the leftover $40bn still deserves a royal salute. The final performance of U2's 360° Tour took place on October 28 at the BC Place Stadium in Vancouver, British Columbia - which also just happened to have been the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Something we didn't know before

"Without him, and without his business, we just wouldn't be where we are today."

Is Bill Gates is now a travel agent?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Barf

I shouldn't have read this while eating my lunch...

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

is it really so difficlt?

Go on. It won't hurt much.

BillG is an uber-rich bloke who decided along time ago to give his fortune away. So that's what he's doing.

Bono acknowledged that, which seems like an OK thing to do, in the circumstances. Why couldn't The Register do the same? Or, failing that, just let it slide past without any snide remarks? Or perhaps ignore it altogether?

El Reg, save the virtriol for those who deserve it. There's always plenty to choose from.

4. Goat Jam
    Coat

Bono is an ass

That is all

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is possible...

... to deride Bill for his Microsoft misdemeanours, as well as praise him for the redistribution of some of his fortune. The two are not mutually exclusive, you can hate one and like the other; at least in parts.

I have similar feelings about Bono and the music of U2 now I come to think of it.

6. Richard Jukes

Well...

As much as we might all have a dislike for Microsoft, lets at least admit that they changed the world. They put a PC into every home, they made computers for the mondeo man, and not just the geeks.

7. Dave Murray
    Coffee/keyboard

the complex poesy of master lyricist Bono

ROFL

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Richard Jukes

You seem to imply that without Microsoft, there would be no computers in any home, as if only he could have done it

9. Admiral Grace Hopper

AC @14:22 GMT

No. he wasn't the only one who *could* have done, it he was the one who *actually* did it. Whatever you may think of the way that it was done or the quality of the tools used to achieve the feat, achieve it he did.

His company's products may have much room for improvement, but I would struggle to fault his philanthropy.

10. James 55
    Flame

Why so much Bono hate?

Maybe because he is so much more successful than you? Or because he at least appears to care about developing countries?

Are these really bad things?

And Bill Gates is giving most of their BILLIONS away along with Warren Buffet. Could you do that? Or would you go down the route of Russian Oligarchs and build palaces or be like Roman Obramovich and buy a fecking cruise liner/warship??

Sorry for the rant, but fuck off you tabloid reading intellectually challenged shit tickets.

Phew that's better. Sorry.

11. Amazon Wageslave
    Flame

Re: Why so much Bono hate?

Because a multi-millionaire tax-avoiding celeb who lectures people about poverty is a twat.

For the record, I am a big U2 fan (not their last album though), and when I met Bono a few years ago he was a lovely bloke.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Rock Roll Bollocks

Poor old Paul Hewson he seems to cop some flack. He wants to hide for a while and let Madge catch some vitriole for poking around in Africa like some great white saviour. Meanwhile Medcin Sans Frontiers et al. are doing sterling job and not banging on about it.

13. Juan Inamillion
    Thumb Up

@Why so much Bono hate?

"Sorry for the rant, but fuck off you tabloid reading intellectually challenged shit tickets."

Love it.

That's all.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like