back to article Marvel Comics open on iPhone

US comics fans can now use their iPhones' in-app purchase capability to download Marvel comics onto Apple's überpopular smartphones. iPhone users in the UK and elsewhere? Not so lucky. Three popular free iPhone apps support in-app Marvel downloads: Comixology, iVerse, and Panelfly Comics (App Store links). Comixology has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. byDefault
    Thumb Up

Great App

Thrilled to see Marvel make an appearance in the digital space. Certainly think all apps have alot to offer but have been a big fan of Panelfly. Really love the design & overall experience. Hope to see DC follow suit so I can catch up on some good ol' Batman!

2. JoelDare

Finally, Panelfly Rules!

Been waiting for Marvel to come out on the iPhone forever. Was so happy downloaded Panelfly and the first five issues of Spider-Man. Checked out the other apps, but think that Panelfly is the best. Can't wait for DC to join the parade!

3. Robert E A Harvey
    Jobs Horns

hhhow much g-g-granville?

1.99 for something you can't pass on to yer mates and then flog at the exchange store by the bus station?

a quick google suggests that you can subscribe, including postage, to the paper edition for $22.97 per 12 issues. So it costs /more/ on the iphone, and you got to threaten yer eyesight trying to read it?

I'd consider it for 25cents an issue, but I'm not daft enough to pay what they are asking...

4. MarkOne
    FAIL

PSP and PS3 already

Apple copying Sony?

5. The Indomitable Gall

And they tell me the iPhone isn't for saddos...

And as I constantly say to one of those same saddos (my long-haired, head-banging, comic reading brother) paper-based comic layouts don't work on screen.

If people want digital comics, they need to design them first and foremost for the screen.

And like Robert E A Harvey, I do think it's a bit much to charge so much for such a substandard delivery/product.

Disclaimer -- yes, I appreciate that there is genuine literature in the "graphic novel" world, but that would be Persepolis, Maus, Arrugas etc... not XMen, Spiderman and the Incredible Hulk. These series continue to exist purely to milk the crowd. Real literature has a beginning, a middle and an end

6. magnetik
    FAIL

@ MarkOne

"Apple copying Sony?"

Um, how is Apple copying Sony when these are 3rd party apps? Big fat fail icon for you !

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: PSP and PS3 already

"Apple copying Sony?"

Erm, because some companies are offering a service on the iPhone, which is already on other platforms? Nothing I could see in the article said that Apple was behind these apps.

8. Awesomo
    Megaphone

2000AD did it first

For several months, 2000AD has been publishing via Clickwheel.net. Much better than those American comics!

9. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Down

Speaking as a cartoonist and professional illustrator...

...I can only respond to this news by paraphrasing David Lynch's famous question re: watching movies on an iPhone:

Who in the hell is so stupid that they think they can read _comic_books_ on their fucking _phone_?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like