back to article Motorola Android 2.0 phone Europe-bound

Motorola's Android 2.0-based Droid handset will be called the Milestone over here, the phone maker has revealed. In addition to a new, name the European incarnation will get HSDPA 3G and multi-touch technology, it has emerged. Milestone will have quad-band GSM/GPRS and dual-band - 900MHz and 2100MHz - WCDMA support. It has Wi- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JetSetJim
    Coat

Already dead...

EU regulations on the use of metric distance measurements mean that this will have to get relabelled the "kilometrestone" before it can be released.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Software Patents?

"It does seem odd that Motorola would drop them from the US model."

I wonder if it's partly to do with software patents? Since they don't exist in Europe, they're avoiding Apple jumping down their throats. Apparently the same reason multi-touch is disabled on all other Android devices (except the Hero?).

3. Rob
    FAIL

Yuk

Looks damn ugly! (obviously bar the UI, can't comment on that as I haven't seen it).

4. Law
    Coffee/keyboard

it gets uglier the longer I look at it... :(

... I liked the design of the Dext or whatever it is, but this one just looks like a prototype, like they've not got round to making it presentable yet... what was their thinking on putting the D pad on the right too?? Why would anybody go against years of training from games consoles and almost any other device that demand it be on the left??

I'm in the market for a new android phone to replace my iphone which I've grown to almost hate in the last few months since the 3.* updates... looks like I'll be going for that Acer "Liquid" A1... shame really.

Also - I hate it when they change device names for Europe... Droid was fine here... although I'm not sure if it was a legal thing, like preexisting trademarks etc.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Re: Already dead...

Yup. They're going to have to replace that 3.7" * display with a 94mm one too.

* Heresy. Should be Three and Seven Tenths of course.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Greg J Preece

Sorry, but I like it

Function over design, TYVM. It's got Android 2, all the kit I need and a full fat hardware keyboard. I buy devices so that I can get stuff done, not so I can flash them at people (my current phone is an Ameo, after all - the ugliest thing ever created by human hands).

8. Greg J Preece

Better photo

Full spec here, and a pic with the keyboard tray closed - looks alright like that, actually:

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/XW-EN/Consumer-Products-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/ci.Motorola-MILESTONE-XW.alt

9. Old Time Coder
    Jobs Horns

Yes, but it's still in there

I have some learning curve yet with the Verizon Branded Google Android. As good or better than any smart phone or WinMobile device I've used, and I started with a bag phone and with WinCE 2000.

I have seen on several Droid developer sites that the gestures are "in there" just not turned on. I have not drilled down into the source far enough yet.

Hmmmmm, is Google afraid getting in a Patents spat with Apple?

/s/ Old Time Coder

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like