back to article HTC to launch WinMo phone with Android-oriented UI

HTC will formally launch its Windows Mobile - not Android, alas - HD2 smartphone in Taipei on Wednesday, the company said today. HTC HD2 invite Why WM not Android? HTC needs to "take care" of the Microsoft OS, HTC CEO Peter Chou said last week. Maybe, but that hasn't stopped the company burying the WM 6.5 user interface - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. CrankShaft

Sense

Infact the Sense interface on the HD2 is just an updated and renamed version of TF3D TouchFlo 3D). The name changed when it moved to version 2.5.

I've had this on my HD for some time now...

2. tKe

WM Sense != Android Sense

It seems from the image in your article that this new "HTC Sense" for windows mobile is not the same as the Android HTC Sense found on the Hero et al.

It actually seems to be a continuation of the Manilla series of interfaces (aka TouchFlo 3D) - Manilla 2.5 if memory serves (being a VGA device owner, I have to make do with the community-adapted builds of newer manillas which all seem to be WVGA, of which 2.5 has yet to appear).

3. Paul Leighton
    FAIL

Which came first? Android/WinMo??

Not sure I follow this story? The UI is TouchFLO 3D but updated with new icon's, animations and a few other nice bits and now given the name Sense? This is still a WinMo oriented UI, originated from a WinMo front end (TouchFLO 3D).. not android?! Just happens they standardised on the word Sense!

You might want to re-explain this one!

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Dead horse + flogging

Why do they bother releasing new devices on WM6.x? Until MS completely rewrite the entire underlying OS and redesign all of the GUI (not just the home screen) then this is just destined to be more of the same.

5. Christopher Rogers
    Linux

What i want is...

An o2 contract like the iphone / pre contract, with an htc andriod based phone. I'd but that. Don't want an iphone (it doesn't appeal to me). The pre is very nice, until you start to use its bloody awful keyboard and cut your wrist on the built in razor blade. Also, memory expansion? Infact the only upshot is its OS.

So O2, gimmie my third option and i might just spend another 15quid a month with ya....

6. Fred 5

UI isn't "android based"

Why is the UI described as "android based"? It's just a tweak to their existing Touch Flo 3D interface that's been around on phones like the current Touch HD for a while.

Just because they've renamed it "Sense" doesn't mean it's got anything to do with Android.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Sense UI

"Maybe, but that hasn't stopped the company burying the WM 6.5 user interface with its own UI, Sense."

HTC also "buries" Android with their Sense UI too. All phone manufacturers will continue to build their own interfaces like HTC's TouchFLO/Sense, Samsung's TouchWiz, etc on top of WM/Android etc in order to differentiate themselves from each other and to give customers a different choice of user interface for commonly used functions. I don't see a problem with that.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Dead horse + flogging

This goes a lot deeper than just the home screen. They've re-written most of the stock apps (contacts, calendar, etc...) to make them a lot better. Anyway, a lot of us in the Enterprise Business market like Windows Mobile, it just works with Exchange, Office etc... This is a business phone in a flashy suit, which suits me to the ground.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Sense vs TF3D

As far as I remember from the Hero launch, Sense is more than just the UI. It relates to all the "deeper" changes that they have made, particularly the bringing together of all information related to a contact, whether it be Outlook, messaging, call history & social networking info.

So the UI itself is an updated TF3D, but they are now referring to Sense on this device as they have created the same integration of contact data as they did on the Hero.

TBH I wasn't taken with Android at all until I saw the Hero. So that has me thinking why change from WM when all I like about Android is the same UI tweaks that I already have on my WM device? I certainly don't see myself moving away from HTC as a brand anytime soon though.

10. b166er

Trivial surely,

to get Android on this phone. The hardware and Android must have been designed with each other in mind anyway, even if the final choice was to go with Windows Phone.

11. spegru

The UI?

Interersting to see winmob looking almost nothing like windows at all. I thought that was supposed to be the key point for msft - user familiarity!

12. Robert E A Harvey

err..

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/10/30/hd2_android_denial/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like