back to article eBay.co.uk blocked for smelling phishy

Online tat bazaar ebay.co.uk was blocked for much of yesterday because OpenDNS wrongly labelled auction pages on the site as phishing pages. Individual items, with addresses starting cgi.ebay.co.uk, were unavailable to anyone using the system, or using an ISP which uses the system. Instead surfers saw this error message: " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Yes now it says.....

Ebay has been blocked as a website used for fraud, deception and handling stolen goods.

2. Phil A
    WTF?

Just resolve the damn address...

Sounds like scope creep to me. Why are OpenDNS trying to act as a security tool? They are a DNS - just resolve the damn address and let me choose my own security measures and don't piss around with my choices. Nowhere near as bad as Phorm and BT but it's still an example of a company thinking that they can use my data and choose what is best for the user. I actually gave up using OpenDNS a few months ago when I had had enough of them hijacking my typing errors. All I wanted was a simple 404 screen where I could correct the error in the address bar rather than having to retype it.

Phil A

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Already...

Somebody please put EBAY out of its misery. Please.

4. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    WTF?

RE: Just resolve the damn address...

DITTO to that, but unfortunately I have no choice where my corporation resolves addresses.

Working in a Working in Spain I also use online translation a lot, but it seems that "babelfish" and "translation2.paralink.com" seem to disagree with OpenDNS far too often as well...

In fact OpenDNS often throws up errors saying sites don't exist when they do. I don't think scope creep is their biggest problem. Not actually meeting their original scope is worse.

5. ShaggyDoggy
    Joke

Aha ...

So that's why I've had no CD sales on my em_heaven user ID

6. Richard 23
    Thumb Up

Yes!

I think they got it right, actually!

7. Paul_Murphy
    Paris Hilton

Got caught by this last night.

Logged onto my OpenDNS account (link near the bottom of the OpenDNS phishing alert page) and added the cgi.ebay.co.uk site to allowed sites, 3 minutes later the problem disappeared.

Took a little while to find the right way to edit my network settings, but straight-forward enough I guess.

PH - cos she's got perky baps*.

*Do I really need a reason??

8. Mike Cardwell

Re: Just resolve the damn address...

*Yawn* People always complain when OpenDNS's system returns anything other than the standard DNS response.

What they ignore is the fact that OpenDNS is completely configurable to behave how you want. If you don't want the "Malware/Botnet Protection", then just turn it off for gods sake. Some of us *do* want it, and are glad it's free.

Oh no! OpenDNS attempts to automatically correct typos too! Guess what, if you don't like that, then turn the option off. And if turning options off is too difficult for you, just don't use their free service in the first place.

It doesn't cost money, it's not a compulsory service, and it can be easily configured to just work like a normal DNS service if you don't want the free extras.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with OpenDNS other than using it as an end-user.

9. Gangsta

Set protection level to None

Happened to me yesterday, just set the protection level to None and flushed the DNS cache

But was quite an inconvieniece however,

on the other hand extremely easy to fix.

10. b166er

what an excellent idea

i think i'll add ebay to my opendns blacklist

11. Philip Cohen
    Thumb Down

Shill bidding Diamond PowerSellers

For all the eBay “buyers” who are still trying to find a bargain on eBay and are hopefully agile enough to avoid all the shill-bidding professional sellers that infest eBay, eBay recently touted two Diamond PowerSellers as major success stories of selling on eBay. An analysis of bidding patterns on their auctions suggests that they are probably both habitual shill bidders. The details at:

http://www.auctionbytes.com/forum/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=6502763

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like