back to article Asus intros first USB 3.0 motherboard

Asus has taken the wraps off what's certainly its first USB 3.0 motherboard and very possibly the first one of its kind at all. The Xtreme Design P7P55D-E Premium board is based on Intel's P55 chipset, which doesn't support SuperSpeed USB, so Asus has integrated an unnamed third-party USB 3.0 controller which is hooked up to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mfraz
    Linux

Penguin logo

Think the box needs a USB3.0 only works with LInux sticker!

2. Lottie

so...

what's that remote controller looking thingy for?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cool, now I can make good use of all my USB 3.0 devices

erm...

4. Colin_L
    Thumb Up

Light Peak is a farce

Not sure about strapping on USB 3.0 to the side like this, but hey, it's better than not providing it at all, so I give ASUS a lot of credit.

I can only assume that NVidia and VIA are laughing about Intel's stubborn 'inability' to deliver USB 3.0 LGA motherboards and looking forward to a great 2010 for themselves.

USB 3.0 makes so much more sense for consumers, but Intel would rather push their technology. Decent analysis here: http://www.glgroup.com/News/Intels--Light-Peak--Consumer-PC-Based-Fiber-Optic-USB-Ports---Why--43871.html

The author doesn't even mention cost or durability. When was fiber optic ever cheaper than copper? And let's see you coil up your Light Peak cable and put it in your laptop bag, then see how long it works.

5. stalkingturkey

devices devices devices!

I'd like to see the availability of stable 6gb/s harddrives and/or ssd with this release. I can only hope that despite Intel's "inability" to implement USB 3.0 that they can at least release an 6gb/s X-25 in the near future.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like