back to article Mozilla's SeaMonkey 2.0 exits cryptobiosis

Mozilla will let you browse the web like it's 1995 with the latest release of its "all-in-one internet application suite," SeaMonkey 2.0. In the world of modern browsers, SeaMonkey is no shrimp*. It's the spiritual successor to the Netscape Communicator of yore, when things like newsgroup support, email, an IRC client, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mathew White
    Coat

@ Austin Modine

Does it have prawn browsing mode?

2. Shingo Tamai
    FAIL

WTF?!?

Firefox and Thunderbird were created because the developers said that the Mozilla Suite (that offered a browser and an email client in a single executable) was too bloated and unpleasant to use.

I really do not understand the reasons for going back with a project like Seamonkey.

Unless it is like for the soap for the washing machines where one year they sell you the one "just for the whites" and the one "just for the colored" and then they sell you the one "for the whites and the colored" one year on and one year off.

3. Steven Knox
    Troll

So...

they've got almost all of the Opera features copied now, then?

4. Jelliphiish
    Thumb Up

and so you should be

Still, worth the attempt. Shrimp.

5. MacRat

Dozens of Users

I'm sure the dozens of users are quite excited.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cracking subtitle

Made me chuckle while working late in the evening.

Thanks.

7. Dave Murray

Begat

If Firefox and Thunderbird had a baby, it would most certainly not be SeaMonkey. Firefox and Thunderbird are the children of SeaMonkey. If software had children.

8. EL Vark
    Thumb Up

Better and Worse than 1.x

As apparently the only SeaMonkey user in the world, I have to say that I'm both impressed and disgusted with 2.0 The negative comments are amusing as they appear to come from people who wouldn't consider trying it, let alone ever having used it from which to draw an informed opinion. That's what Dubya would do, yes?

The principle reason I continued to use 1.x (1.8.something at last count) was that it was the LEAST bloated browser available that mostly worked (I gave up on Opera ten years ago. Today it's free, tomorrow it's adware, the next day it's payware, the next it's free again.., while Chrome is just silly.). The 1.8.x footprint was in the 18MB range. With 2.0, that's soared to ~54MB, placing it in Fireferret territory. However unlikely that "you" might have tried the two RC builds, 2.0 has ironed out some issues and improved loading time, despite the fatter chunk of memory it demands. I have no need or desire for RSS, Chat, or anything Kewl like that, so have no idea how it performs in those areas.My other slightly less principle reason was the email client, from which TBird was cribbed (TBird user and decriers of SeaMonster take note). It continues to work exactly as well as I require. I have next to no use for the Composer client but have found it reasonably useful those handful of times when I have loaded it. Summation: Too fat but a worthy successor to 1.x. And still prettier and generally more configurable than Fireferret.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amateur

Well, as one of the 12, I like Seamonkey. However, I do find it is not very Linux desktop friendly. It's a pain to have it not automatically put up one icon which covers both parts of the application. That said, the java script enable/disable single click bolt on in Windows is excellent to reduce the javascript memory bloat that otherwise occurs in Windows application. I haven't yet found out if this add on exists for Linux.

10. Chris 67
    Thumb Up

Brilliant subtitle!

Give that man an internet!

11. fishman

Another Seamonkey user

I use seamonkey - does that make me the lucky 13th?

12. Volker Hett

Bloat has been a reason ...

to separate the two, but only so they could bloat Firefox way beyond what Netscape could have been blown up to :)

I have to work with web applications where Firefox easily takes up to a Gigabyte after some hours. Safari does the same with less than a third of that.

But bloat aside, when you have a browser and an email client open all day, why not have this in one app?

13. Alain
    Go

Count me as #14

Been using Seamonkey and its ancestors since Netscape 3 and my mind would really require extensive retraining to switch to something else. It had tabbed browsing before Firefox even existed, hadn't it? Also I like being able to do Google searches right from the URL input box (I'm sure this can be done in Firefox too, but it's not native).

I love the v2.0. Being able to restart with all windows and tabs as previously is a great feature. I kind of hoped that it would leak memory less when left with multiple windows and tabs open for a long time, but it still leaks memory badly. As for the initial memory footprint, one can install only the module one needs. I for instance never install the IRC client.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like