back to article Government ads fail truthfulness exam

Government publicity claims that new Diplomas, designed to replace A-levels, are "accepted by all universities" were today branded misleading by regulators. Two people complained to the Advertising Standards Authority that some top universities do not accept all of the new qualifications. Cambridge, for example, only …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Foster

Government Lies Shocker!

And your point is?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Get you in

"can get you into any university"

So can a brick

Or a good set of lock picks

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

Government telling lies ?!?! Who would have thought ?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Stand by...

Government spin cycles to max!

5. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Perhaps

Perhaps it would have made sense if they'd consulted the universities before designing and implementing these diplomas it would have made more sense.

We have a government that for some reason wants everybody to have a university education* but seem unwilling to work with the universities and indeed schools to achieve this goal. A charitable man would suggest that this is because the (mostly university educated) people involved in these plans are simply too dim to take the long view and join up the whole process. A less charitable man may suggest that they are attempting to impose a system where everybody regardless of ability, desire or need will get a "university education" if they don't get a job upon leaving school.

My personal view of all this is that they have, once more, fucked up badly due to a lack of planning and consultation. The adverts were put out there to try to bolster the uptake of the diploma in order to justify the massive investment therein.

* The gods know why, university education is not suited to everyone and totally pointless for many. The latter group would include me.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Cambridge?

Cambridge is only for communist spies and limelight seeking footlights wannabies. You wouldn't go there for a serious degree.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

next

Next they'll be telling us that the government is lying about ID cards being useful for defeating terrorists, no immigrants, no identity theft or that they aren't being truthful about that the dna database is needed to fight crime (as opposed to sell to data mining companies and dodgy profiling companies)

8. JBrown
    FAIL

CBA to think of title

"The initial Diplomas are in engineering, construction and the built environment, IT, society, health and development, and creative and media."

Didn't Maggie famously state there is no such thing as "society"?

9. Dave 129

@Grease Monkey

I largely agree with you. The Government should take a step back from the education system. All they have done is bugger it up even more than it was! Most of the time the decisions that are made aren't even made by teachers... or people who have ever taught. It's disgusting. Plus all the meddling in the A-Levels and GCSEs has left students going to University at a great disadvantage as they now lack problem solving skills and there is an expectation that answers will be provided (yeah I know it's not all, but it is a frighteningly large percentage).

You know that in one curriculum, it was planned out down to the minute what the teacher was expected to do and even how the subject was supposed to be taught. Now where the hell is the room for creativity, diversions, interest and problem solving in that? And then people wonder why we have disengaged youth.

Hell I remember the changes that were happening back when I was finishing my A-levels... and that was in Spring 1997! not that long ago. The upstarts in the first year were absolute little shits (Sixth form was attached to the secondary school) - I dread to think what it is like now :(

10. Richard 102

The government, educators, and advertisers lie?

"I'm not believing in anything any more! I'm going to law school!"

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hardly a surprise

I wonder who signed off on this. Maybe it was Ed "I employ who I want despite the unanimous reservations of an entire committee" Balls.

The sooner they get voted out the sooner they can stop pissing our money away on more pointless populist schemes designed to sound great on adverts but, on closer examination, contain the sum total of fuck-all.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@ Dave 129

Haa. 1997 you think those were real A levels, bah humbug...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like