back to article Free Microsoft security tool locks down buggy apps

Microsoft has released a free tool designed to harden software applications against attacks that exploit common security vulnerabilities. EMET, short for Enhanced Mitigation Evaluation Toolkit, allows developers and administrators to add specific security protections to applications. Unlike mitigations released in the past, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Doug Franklin

Rerun?

Is this a rerun? I'd swear that Microsoft, or someone, released a very similar tool a couple of years ago. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking in hindsight.

2. Lou Gosselin

The Answer

The answer Is application sandboxing as used by platforms like Java. In other words, the administrator and not the developer should be responsible for defining the bounds of the application. As usual, Microsoft is years behind the curb. ActiveX relied on code signing for security, which was a flawed strategy from the start. I doesn't matter who wrote the code, it matters what the code does!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Couldn't this be built into the OS?

No idea how this works, but surely the Task/Memory Manager of the OS should be able to handle this? If they built the OS to be more robust in the first place...

4. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Coffee/keyboard

Posted by “Field Marshal Von Krakenfart”

An application from MickeySoft to harden software applications against attacks and exploits..... Why do I not feel confident about such a product.....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

And yet

And yet there was a commeter on the WIndows 7 thread who was proudly boasting about the memory management functionality of Windows (since the mid 1990s!). That'll be the special functionality that lets hackers crash some code on purpose and then run their own code instead.

I think Microsoft should rewrite Windows from scratch. With zero compatibility to the current Windows. Existing applications could be run in a secure sand-box. This may help eliminate many of their existing bloat and code problems as well as allow them to introduce some real security at long last.

6. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Thumb Down

@AC

I think the Pope should hand out free condoms, but that's not likely to happen either.

7. rick buck
    Gates Horns

Coming from M$...

Time To Panic...

...as Microsoft Software

Shuts Down Micro$oft Software

as It is infested with bugs!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like