back to article Intel soups up 34nm SSDs

Intel has updated the firmware installed in its 34nm X25-M SSD line, claiming the new code helps deliver a sequential write speed boost of up to 40 per cent. We'll be conducting tests on the new X25-M firmware in due course to see how accurate that claim is. In the meantime, we can say the new software adds support for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

This utility

This utility sounds like what we used to call a "device driver", but the word doesn't appear

in the documentation. Oh God, Windows Seven must have abolished Device Drivers, now they are probably Feature Capability Accessors. If you add a new feature to your computer ("device" in the old terminology, something that comes in a box and isn't software), you need to realize ("install") a Feature Capability Accessor obtained from the feature publisher ("manufacturer") Browser Active Content Provider ("web site"), or your computer won't boot any more.

I could have gone with a four-figure rude word, but I figured best not for several reasons.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Unhappy

Implements the TRIM command?

I read that and wondered if, since TRIM is a standard command, implementing it in XP and Vista using their "SDD Optimiser" fix could benefit non-Itel devices too. "How uncharacteristically generous" thought I.

So I pulled the Intel white paper. Ho hum. It doesn't implement TRIM in XP or Vista per se. It's a seperate utility that allows you to update block usage on SSDs (and they have to be Intel ones), using the TRIM command, to match the O/S opinion of use either manually or on a scheduled basis. Normal levels of generosity are resumed.

3. Anon'anon'anon

Typo

'buy Intel has separately released a utility called', should probable be 'but Intel has separately released a utility called'

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comprehensive benchmarks

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3667

5. Neil 7
    FAIL

Best not to install it just yet

As it looks like the firmware has been pulled...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like