back to article MySpace in talks to become Facebook friend

Facebook is in talks with MySpace to assimilate some of its content, in what would mark a formal admission of defeat for the Murdoch-owned site. The proposed deal, mostly significant as an acknowledgement of Facebook's seniority, would see MySpace effectively supply videos and music and allow users to log in via the Facebook …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would FaceBook bother?

They'll eventually have all of MySpace's customers so why would they do something to slow down the drift??

Plus, Murdoch's media tends to shill for unpopular but rich industries. (e.g. Fox shilled for the Healthcare industry). What if FaceBook gets involved with MySpace and MySpace becomes another unpopular shill? Imagine if he uses MySpace news the way he uses Fox news. Facebook would be associated with that!

2. Ben Holmes
    Paris Hilton

MySpaz

"MySpace is meanwhile trying to reposition itself as a video and music-focused site."

As opposed to Geocities Mk 2?

As a performing musician with content on MySpace, I find that it's absolutely fantastic to be able to say to people "Here's our MySpace page, have a listen", and be able to get feedback *.

However, 2 things generally prevent us doing anything useful with it.

1) Independent artists use Paypal (before graduating to iTunes, or CDBaby, or whatever). Fact of life. it's an easy way of keeping track of what we've sold, to who, and whether it's been shipped. It's also a name that customees invariably trust. So stop blocking it with the bloody external links filter!

2) Fix the bastard flash player. or get rid of it altogether. It's a fucking Flash abortion, cobbled together in a 'be alright' kind of fashion, and vomited out of the doors on the unsuspecting masses. I don't want to hit the 'Play' button and bask in glorious silence, I want to hit 'Play' and actually listen to something. That's why I hit 'Play'.

Rant over. Time to go back to the day job.

Paris, because she doesn't need a Day Job to struggle as a musician.

* I never said the content OR the feedback was any good.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cash flow positive

So in other words, they're *still* making losses. Common sense tells you that if they were making a profit or even just breaking even, they'd make a song and dance of it.

By using ambiguous phrases such as 'cash flow positive', they're simply hiding their continuing losses behind fancy words.

And given that they're owned by Murdoch, it's hardly surprising that they don't have any cash flow problems. The whole point of a parent group like that is that they have the pockets to keep funding you, no matter what.

So really this statement is like Steve Balmer being asked whether Windows Vista was a success, and him simply replying that everyone who worked on Vista got paid.

4. James 55
    Pint

Cash is positively flowing

in the wrong direction.

Just like my drink

5. Richard Gadsden 1
    Badgers

Cash flow positive

The term that actually means what Facebook are trying to hint at with "cash flow positive" is "operating profit". I'm sure if they were making an operating profit, then they'd say so.

Facebook isn't owned by Murdoch, though - that's MySpace.

6. Snert Lee

Relative comparisons

I guess one way to make Facebook look better is to hold it real close to MySpace.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like