back to article Toyota at Tokyo: micro e-car on display

Competing with such leccy micro-cars like Peugeot’s BB1 and Renault's Twizy in the 'would you actually buy anything that looks like that?' stakes is Toyota's latest thinking on future e-cars for the city, the FT-EV II. The EV II is an evolution of the EV I that Toyota showed at the Detroit Motor Show earlier this year rather …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Useless...

Well, maybe not if you're in a retirement community or on controlled-access roads like on an island.

But what good is a car that tops out at less than highway speeds, has very limited range, and is butt-ugly to boot? Maybe for a short commute to work, maybe not. And the thought of being next to a big rig or in any kind of crash in this thing makes me shudder. Or on a bridge on a windy day. No thanks. I'll keep my fuel-guzzling beast a little longer.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd rather go by bus...

than buy that. But being ugly hasn't stopped SMART cars shifting in their thousands.

I'd also hate to have a crash in one. Is it possible to get a negative score on the Euro NCAP test?

3. Matt Bucknall
    Black Helicopters

Ugliness

I do not understand why car manufacturers are so hell-bent on making all these leccy cars look as unappealing as possible? Okay, there's the Wrightspeed X1 and the Tesla Roadster, but they're not exactly family 5-door.

I say it is all a conspiracy funded by the fossil fuel industry! Make the cars ugly, hurt uptake, keep us at the pumps for as long as possible.

4. Stacy
    FAIL

Still rubbish then

So with new and improved batteries it's still not good enough for a round commute to work, and even it it could it won't get up to motorway speeds...

If you are going to say 'Reliant on improvements' why not say something bold like '600 miles @ 75mph from a single charge, recharges in 3 mins'

5. John Robson Silver badge

MIB

"a steering yoke that does away with the need for floor pedals"

Why not just fit a playstation controller?

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

sliding doors? wtf?

What a waste of energy to get those things to move. The main problem with the Peugeot 1007 is the enormous weight due to the sliding doors. Surely in an eco-car this is nonsensical?

7. Aremmes

US Launch

"Toyota has promised that it will launch a leccy city car in the US sometime in 2012."

Certainly not this one. With a top speed of 62 mph., it'd be quickly run over as soon as it enters an expressway. Any expressway. Even Smart drivers do around 75-80 mph. on these roads just to avoid the sight of a Freightliner in their rear view mirror.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seriously

If they were serious about this they would allow full electric cars to drive in the bus lanes that the local authorities have been so busy building lately. Strange really as they used to build bus lanes in the 80's, then they all but disappeared, now they're back again !

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

you might still not be able to get out

Yup, that's about right. First time a lorry hits you you won't be able to get out. In fact, they'll only need to scrape up what's left and drop it in a hole in the ground and you're all done.

no thanks

10. Al 14
    FAIL

Hideous...

... but since Toyota don't want to sell Electric Vehicles it should serve them very well!

11. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Is it just me

or did anyone else read the name as "evil."

12. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: MIB

"Why not just fit a playstation controller?"

Because Sony would sue? Because giving GTA addicts real cars won't do the accident stats any favours?

Aside from that, what I want to know is why they've lifted the lower front end styling from a Sherman Tank?

This topic is closed for new posts.