back to article Exoplanets dubbed 'Vulcan', 'Romulus' and 'Female Pigeon'

A planet formation expert has decided he's not happy with the International Astronomical Union's insistence that exoplanets will be known solely by their "assigned scientific designation", and has come up with names for the 403 such bodies discovered to date. Wladimir Lyra chillingly made "extensive use of Wikipedia" to find …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matthew Smith

It all went wrong in 1790

Uranus was supposed to be called George, but it was over ridden by international agreement. Its still the superior name.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

Bound to end in tears.

At the rate they're discovering exo-solar planets at the moment, we're going to need to get the Greeks and Romans to invent some more low-order deities. Lots of 'em and quickly too.

They could run out of material pretty fast and I pity the poor colonists in a few thousand years' time, who draw their first breaths on their new homeworld named after the god of recently discarded pyramid teabags....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely there's a market for sponsorship deals for exoplanets

For instance, alongside Female Pigeon we could have Sporty Cock, or "Le Coq Sportif" as our friends across the Channel say

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

A better use of wikipedia....

Having looked at his list, would have been to check that there weren't other existing planetary bodies with the same names.

Such as

asteroids (Romulus, Tros, Thetis)

a moon of Saturn (Prometheus)

after all there's been plenty of time for the classical figures to already have been used in naming.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 15>59

I suspect that New Zealanders would find Sporty Cock hard to swallow.

6. RTNavy
    Happy

Records on File

The records for this renaming can be found in the basement of the Department of Naming Conventions and Deli located at Magrathea, since this is where the planets were built to begin with.

Any claims to misidentifying planets can be filed with the Vogons, in triplicate, on the fourth Saturday of each decade, not counting leap years.

7. Bounty

silly

Everyone shold know that once you start getting into massive numbers of planets, that you only give the interesting ones unique names. Same thing for stars.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Gallifrey

Is there no Gallifrey yet?

And what about that big long name that the green inflatable monster came from?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: It all went wrong in 1790

> Uranus was supposed to be called George, but it was over ridden by

> international agreement. Its still the superior name.

Well mine isn't.

I mean, when I get a ring of fire, I don't utter "By George". More like "JHFC" or something.

10. Brian Miller

He must have used a script to get the names

The Wikipedia entry on Peristera clearly states that the name is the "feminine form of pigeon." I guess that he must have been using a script to dig out all of the references, because he certaintly didn't read them. After all, this is a Greek island with only five people living on it.

11. Christoph
    Megaphone

Want to name one?

If you want to name one of these planets please send me the current name, your required name, and payment in any major currency.

The International Planet Name Registry, Totally Genuine and Official, Trust Me!

12. frank ly

@Tee Cee re. Bound To End In Tears

If Terry Pratchett is to be believed (of course he is!), there actually is a god of recently discarded pyramid tea bags (and many other small things).

I built a small temple to Him in the corner of my kitchen. I see no point causing offence if it can be avoided.

13. breakfast Silver badge
    Joke

Bad news from the ruling council

You may be waiting a long time for a reply from the ruling council there- I heard they were overthrown in a coup.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Matthew Smith

From Futurama

Professor: "I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all."

Fry: "Oh. What's it called now?"

Professor: "Urectum. "

15. Alan Esworthy
    Welcome

Coo!

Let me be the first to coo "Welcome!" to our new female pigeon overladies!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

What do I want?

Za'Ha'Dum

17. HFoster

Re: Gallifrey

Raxacoricofallapatorius!

18. James O'Brien
    Joke

When will we get the planet

FOAD? :)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Vulcan?

Wait a minute, Vulcan exploded already, I've seen it!

20. Adrian Esdaile
    Alien

I for one....

welcome our Peristeraean overlords.

21. E 2

Voice from .ca

I want to see Planet Bob, Planet Doug, Solar System Trudeau, and Planets Joni Mitchell & Gordon Downey.

22. Torben Mogensen

Other mythologies

Why stick to Roman mythology? They are fine for our own solar system, but for other solar systems, you could use names from Norse, Hindu, Polynesian, Egyptian or other mythologies.

To be consistent, you would restrict each mythology to a single solar system. That would probably make us run out of mythologies fairly quickly, though, but then we can use fictional "mythologies" such as from The Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars etc. How about a solar system with planets called Tatooine, Alderaan, Dagobah and Naboo and another with planets called Gandalf, Galadriel, Beren, Hurin and so on?

23. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

@TeeCee

"At the rate they're discovering exo-solar planets at the moment, we're going to need to get the Greeks and Romans to invent some more low-order deities. Lots of 'em and quickly too."

Hence the opening paragraph of "Rendevous with Rama", IIRC.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

They should name them after Pokemon

As I recall from when my kids were small, there's a limitless supply of those animated Japanese money generators.

25. Mayhem

Niven had the right idea

The planets of We Made It, Jinx, and Mount Look At That

I have a very strong feeling that by the time we actually start exploring the galaxy, the pioneers will be a lot more irreverent than the people back home

26. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

The Brady System!

Greg

Marsha

Peter

Jan

Bobby

Cindy

Mike

Carole

Alice

..and

Tiger

Here's a story

About a system named Brady...

27. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

How about we name them after...

... the first person to set foot on them...

I for one am looking forward to setting out on a colonial ship, landing down, claiming my farm and depositing my seed on the face of Paris.

28. Stevie

Bah!

"Trekkie Names"????

Deep six these daft names in favour of more sensible, apposite and appropriate ones taken from Laryy Niven's "Known Space" stories: We Made It, Wunderland, Jinx etc etc etc.

See: "A Gift From Earth", "Tales of Known Space" and "World of Ptaavs" amongst others for ideas here.

Alterantively, use names from Lois McMaster Bujold's "Barrayar" books. We could start with "Jackson's Whole".

29. Ben Rosenthal

it's all fun and games

till someone fires a drop of red matter into the core.

This topic is closed for new posts.